How much audio quality is lost in m4a to mp3 (320kbps)?
Jan 8, 2015 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Duskshine

New Head-Fier
I own a B&O Beosound 6 portable player, it only support the mp3 file format. If I convert m4a file (from iTunes Library) to mp3 (320kbps), is the losses acceptable (192 kbps mp3 is my bottom line)?

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 34
Do you hear the difference? That's the only thing that really matters. My best guess is that any difference you do hear is coming from somewhere other than the file format itself. It could be from the conversion process, or from the different players & amps.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 34
Well, just in case, keep the original files backed up.

iTunes Store M4A files are 256 kbps AAC, so you're converting lossy to lossy. This isn't generally recommended due to it causing more damage to the data than if you had converted lossless to lossy, but on the other hand, you may not hear a difference.

You can use iTunes to convert files, but foobar2000 (another free program) has more versatility. I use dBpoweramp, but it's a paid program with a free trial that reverts to a "forever free" basic version.

Try listening to the original and converted files back to back on your computer to see if you notice a difference between them.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 34
By the way, your player also supports WMA and OGG formats...not that it matters in this context.

When you said iTunes Library, I was assuming that the M4A files were not ALAC (Apple Lossless).

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 34

Well, some of my albums are from iTunes Store, I use Apple lossless for those ripped from CDs. I also got an iPod Classic.

For the classic music/ well-recorded acoustic Pop/Rock, lossless format is necessary, for others, high bitrate AAC is enough. :)

By the way, are you a guitar player in metal band?
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 34

Well, some of my albums are from iTunes Store, I use Apple lossless for those ripped from CDs.

I see. Lossless is best when you don't need to worry about hard drive space. I only buy iTunes content when it's exclusive, like bonus tracks or a different master.

I also got an iPod Classic.

I recently sold my iPod classic to upgrade to a desktop system. Now that you have a better DAP, you shouldn't need to worry so much about format compatibility. Did you pay a lot for yours, since it's out of production?

Here are a few tips, from the experience of owning an iPod classic for years:

1. Don't use the EQ presets. They destroy the sound quality.
  2. Use a line out dock cable to bypass the internal amp in order to feed a cleaner signal to an external amp. (This is only if you have headphones that benefit from amplification, of course.)
  3. Don't install Rockbox. It applies its own EQ and is less accurate than the stock firmware. It does have a ton of cool features, though. You can even use FLAC files with it. You could also probably change the custom EQ settings to be just as neutral as the stock firmware, but I wouldn't know how to do it precisely.
  4. Use album sort tags to organize each artist's albums in chronological order.
  5. Remove ReplayGain tags from files. (They often mess with sound quality.)
  6. If possible in the future, connect the device to a better system via line out.

For the classic music/ well-recorded acoustic Pop/Rock, lossless format is necessary, for others, high bitrate AAC is enough. :)

Many people can't hear a difference between lossless and 256 kbps AAC. I think I can as well, but only sometimes.

One thing to always keep in mind when comparing formats is to ensure the files came from the same master. Best way of going about it is to start with one file (or album, etc.) with the highest "specs" and then convert it to "lesser" formats.

By the way, are you a guitar player in metal band?
tongue_smile.gif

Wait, how'd you know that? Have you been spying on my posts? lol

I do vocals, guitar, piano, and trombone and have been in orchestras, jazz bands, metal bands, and so on.

I felt some differences in high frequency, it also hears a bit "darker"…Well, that's someway acceptable…

Which files are you describing here? 256 kbps AAC to 320 kbps MP3? Lossless to MP3?

Thanks for your advice, I have kept the original m4a file. :)

When I back up my music, I organize it by source, as in lossless CD rips in one folder, digital exclusives in another, lossy versions of albums in another, etc.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 34
Ha…I've viewed your profile.
biggrin.gif
 By the way, I major in classic piano performance at a conservatory, I'm also a keyboard player in a post-rock/progressive metal band…
biggrin.gif
 Wait, you can play jazz trombone, cool! I'm still learning jazz harmony and acoustic guitar by myself, hope one day I can join a jazz trio…

I agree with the tips for iPod Classic… But I don't know how to erase the ReplayGain tags (like "-1.8dB", etc)… I've shut off the "volume check" already.

PS. Your avatar is a character from CLANNAD (クラナド) lol

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 34
  Both, sometimes I can hear the differences.

AAC is sort of the successor to MP3 and is a superior format in lower bit rates. In higher bit rates (256 kbps or above), they should usually sound the same. If you convert a lossy file to another lossy format, there will be more damage to the data than if you had converted lossless to lossy, and even that degree of damage isn't always audible.

Ha…I've viewed your profile.
biggrin.gif
 By the way, I major in classic piano performance at a conservatory, I'm also a keyboard player in a post-rock/progressive metal band…
biggrin.gif
 Wait, you can play jazz trombone, cool! I'm still learning jazz harmony and acoustic guitar by myself, hope one day I can join a jazz trio…

I agree with the tips for iPod Classic… But I don't know how to erase the ReplayGain tags (like "-1.8dB", etc)… I've shut off the "volume check" already.

PS. Your avatar is a character from CLANNAD (クラナド) lol

That's cool. You're probably much better than I am at piano, though I've played for 22 years.

Good guess about the jazz trombone. I got to rehearse and play live on stage with Ira Sullivan, who reportedly performed on Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue album!

I use dBpoweramp for ripping CDs, converting files, editing artwork and tags, etc. foobar2000 can work too. If you install dBpoweramp, it integrates into your system shell, so you can just right-click the file(s), click Properties, click ID-Tag, then check to see if there are ReplayGain tags, which can then be removed.

Yep! For a good laugh, look at my old avatars. Always great to see fellow anime fans. I link to my MAL profile on my Head-Fi profile.

Oh, and here is a little background about me, pasted from another thread. (It's rather long and random.)

Allow me to introduce myself.

Music is my life. Listening, composing, recording, performing...with no restrictions imposed save for lack of sufficient tools.

I've loved to sing for as long as I remember; played piano since 1993; trombone and guitar since 1996; and have been in everything from metal bands to advanced jazz ensembles to symphonic orchestras.

A few highlights from my amateur music career:
- Being begged on a daily basis by adults and children alike to sing popular songs.
- Trading a Super Nintendo for what I suspect to be one of the rarest electric guitars in existence.
- Hanging out at a conductor's mansion.
- Singing the national anthem at sports events.
- Participating in the halftime show at the 2002 FedEx Orange Bowl in Miami with the likes of Enrique Iglesias and Bow Wow.
- Getting a wah-wah pedal as a gift from a vice-principal who wanted to be my manager.
- Having the privilege of performing live with legendary jazz virtuoso Ira Sullivan.
- Becoming close friends with a musician who also lived in a mansion (which I visited often, lol).
- Passersby commenting that I should be a video game composer as I tinkered on a keyboard.
- Forming an imaginary rock band with a girl bassist who sat with me at a stairway. We called it Stairway Club.
- Impromptu midnight metal rehearsals while attending high school and college simultaneously.
- Somehow picking up a grape juice radio commercial on an old bandmate's guitar amp and recording it over riffing.
- Giving guitar lessons to random strangers.
- Owning a vintage 1930s Gibson acoustic guitar and (foolishly) selling it for about $4K below its market value.
- Networking with thousands of people in various underground scenes.
- Receiving complimentary albums from bands around the globe in anticipation of an indie label that never came to be.
- Writing countless incomplete songs in virtually every style; alas, only in my head for the most part.
- Making the most esoteric freestyle demos you will never hear.
- And best of all, meeting so many talented artists. I even talked to Darren Hayes (my favorite vocalist; ex-Savage Garden, now solo) and met Jesper Strömblad (founding member of my favorite band In Flames) once!

One of my major goals is to own businesses in the creative industries, including a digital music store, record label, video game & animated television production company, and advertising agency.

Over the years, I invested five figures into my music collection (with particular pride derived from procuring rare collector's items) before having the sense to seek out quality electronics, so you could say I'm a latecomer to this hobby.

My user name refers to the philosophy we all share of experimenting with audio components to create unique experiences.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 34

1. Remove ReplayGain tags from files. (They often mess with sound quality.)

But I don't know how to erase the ReplayGain tags (like "-1.8dB", etc)… I've shut off the "volume check" already.

I use dBpoweramp for ripping CDs, converting files, editing artwork and tags, etc. foobar2000 can work too. If you install dBpoweramp, it integrates into your system shell, so you can just right-click the file(s), click Properties, click ID-Tag, then check to see if there are ReplayGain tags, which can then be removed.

You shouldn't have to actually remove replaygain tags, should you?  They're just metadata, like Artist, etc...shouldn't actually affect audio quality I don't think.  I don't know how iPods work, but turning off the volume check/option to use replaygain tags sounds like it'll work.  Or might iPods use the itunesnorm or what ever it's called that iTunes uses?

BTW, if you don't want to purchase dBpoweramp, Mp3tag is free and works really well for tagging.  foobar, etc as mentioned...

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 34
  You shouldn't have to actually remove replaygain tags, should you?  They're just metadata, like Artist, etc...shouldn't actually affect audio quality I don't think.  I don't know how iPods work, but turning off the volume check/option to use replaygain tags sounds like it'll work.  Or might iPods use the itunesnorm or what ever it's called that iTunes uses?

BTW, if you don't want to purchase dBpoweramp, Mp3tag is free and works really well for tagging.  foobar, etc as mentioned...

ReplayGain artificially reduces (or otherwise normalizes) the volume digitally. In better cases, it doesn't damage the audio quality too much, but much of the time, it practically destroys it. In the worst cases, you can turn the volume up above normal listening levels and it will still sound very bad, whereas if you simply remove those tags, it sounds more like it should. I speak from experience.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 34
Yup, I'm familiar with how replaygain works.  What I should have said was that since they're just tags they don't actually do anything to the audio itself, and if the iPod is set to ignore the replaygain tags the audio would not be affected...so same effect as removing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back