How much are your "perfect" headphones?
Dec 21, 2011 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

kingpage

1000+ Head-Fier
Only vote if you own a pair of headphones you're completely happy with, without the need to upgrade (notwithstanding the want to upgrade); given there's enough voltage and current to drive them, but irrespective of specific DACs and amps.

Only use the average retail price (not MSRP or the price you paid) for the poll, therefore you can still vote if they were a gift to you.

Post a comment to include the name of the headphones for the vote you've cast. It would be much appreciated that you stay on-topic.

By the way, I'm not asking for the price of your most expensive headphones. The "perfect" could be most expensive, but necessarily so. You can be completely satisfied with lower-priced headphones, even if you have heard or owned more pricy offerings.

This poll is not for you:
  • if the headphones ONLY sound completely satisfying to you when used with a certain type of expensive cable, DAC or amp; or
  • if you are still looking for your "perfect" pair.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 38
Few questions:

- Must we own the headphones?
- If the headphone is flexible with different amps but can't perform without one, is it still counted?

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 38
KRK KNS-8400. KRK got the sound just about perfect and doesn't require expensive amps and DACs to sound good. Strangely enough, all my favorite are cheap and what I listen to the most.

Headphone I listen to the most is the Koss Pro DJ 100 and it's only $80. Can add that to the list as well.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 38

Quote:
- Must we own the headphones?

There's really no point in voting, if you don't own the headphones. You should still own a pair, or there's some weird exception that you no longer have ownership but will obtain a pair as soon as you can.

Quote:
- If the headphone is flexible with different amps but can't perform without one, is it still counted?

Sure, hence I said "given there's enough voltage and current to drive them".

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 38
My ears just love my hfi-780's. They really are the perfect headphones for me. Likewise, my Westone 3's are my favorite iem's. No other headphones/earphones have gotten any significant ear time for the past 1 year (hfi 780) and 3 years (W3). These two really take the cake for me.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 38
2 comments out of 12 voters...

I didn't know head-fiers to be this shy. If you've voted, you might as well post a brief comment that tells us which headphones. It takes less than 5 seconds to type the name and click submit.

Thank you for voting! I'm sure people will find the result and comments interesting.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 38

Grado 325i - I'm still a sucker for their house sound 
smile.gif

I will never, ever sell them or give them away, hmm perhaps the latter one day
 if the opportunity presents itself to add the joy of rockin' out big time
 to someone's life.

They would have to be the Golden Grado chosen one.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 38
Had a opportunity to hear what Adam monitors can do for for little over 500 bucks, they have active discrete design so that is a huge plus. no amp needed. 
Soundstage, positioning, details that can be heard with ease and that was for me just eye opening. They are nearfield monitors so they require proper positioning (by the book), but the fact that it should be used in controlled environment is a little turn off, well who's got the condition needed ...... so the point is that my perfect headphones must be under 500. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 38
Audeze's LCD-2's are just amazing.  I even have the Chevrolet versions (Rev 1) and they do things that mere mortal cans just can't do...

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 38
Omega 2 (Mk1). Wouldn't say they're perfect though, but I've yet to hear headphones that are. I don't think they exist. Also partial to SR-X Mk3 Pro; they're not perfect but damned impressive regardless.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 38
Heya,

HE-500 vote here.

I think the source chain should also reflect in cost though. Some good headphones really can just go right out of a portable player. Others demand really good source chain and it ups the actual cost big time. Also, investing in something expensive just to underpower or feed it a low quality source defeats the point. I would include total cost to achieve a good headphone setup and simply leave out the computer (if applicable) side of things, but rather, total cost of DAC/AMP/Headphone (and any accessories part of said chain).

Very best,

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #15 of 38
Stax O2 is the closest i've yet reach to "perfection". The AKG Sexttets are a very close second though, in terms of a sound level i'm almost truly content with. talk about deminishg returns...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back