How much are headphone amps and how do they work?
Aug 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

willitblend

Aka: Thatonedude2
Im pretty new at this audiophile stuff and I got my first set of cans which are the M50's and I was thinking about amps but im not sure how much the decent ones are and how they work so could someone inform me? And im only 14 so im not looking for some $500 thingy
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 9
He wants to be spoon fed which shouldn't be the case. He didn't give a price range other than he doesn't want to spend 500 on a "thingy." He also doesn't know what they are. He didn't provide us with what source he is using either so he may not even need an amp. Also, you could have redirected the OP. Not trying to be rude or not friendly but I'm afraid that I am brutally honest.

Edit: Also he posted in Headphones full size rather than one of the amplification forums and he hasn't specified if he wants a portable or desktop amp. He couldn't even take the time to post in the right forum let along read a little bit.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
He wants to be spoon fed which shouldn't be the case. He didn't give a price range other than he doesn't want to spend 500 on a "thingy." He also doesn't know what they are. He didn't provide us with what source he is using either so he may not even need an amp. Also, you could have redirected the OP. Not trying to be rude or not friendly but I'm afraid that I am brutally honest.

Edit: Also he posted in Headphones full size rather than one of the amplification forums and he hasn't specified if he wants a portable or desktop amp. He couldn't even take the time to post in the right forum let along read a little bit.

I don't get it. In the time it took you to post this, you could've posted an answer to all of the OP's questions. Also, fourteen.

I actually found it not that easy to find information on audiophilia once I decided to get into the hobby. I thought, at the time (2 years ago) that there was not enough entry-level information on the Internet for newcomers. It's there, it's just sometimes a little time-consuming to sift through the mountain of information.

An amp is a device that drives power into headphones. If you plug a good pair of headphones directly into an iPod, the iPod won't have enough power to properly power the headphones, because odds are, those headphones have a high resistance, which is measured in ohms. In order to properly power those kind of headphones, you need an amp. To decide on what kind is up to you, and you'll need to do a bit of research before you decide.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I took a look at OP's posting patterns. He tends to start threads and abandon them--so he might not even be looking at our answers now.
I'm abandoning the thread. No point sticking around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back