how mobile are you with your portable?
Nov 14, 2004 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

stet

100+ Head-Fier
I guess my initial obsessions since joining head-fi are ebbing, and I'm not so prone to leaving the house with ipod, sik din, amp and an extra pair of cans stashed in my bag just in case i get the itch to switch. Now I find myself going back to MX500s or Porta Pros out of the headphone jack for everyday portable use, walking around downtown and running errands. If I'm going out skateboarding or running I'll use the MX500s and little flash player (and yes, it's low volume for both sound and traffic). If I'm taking the bus or train or heading to the library, something where I'm not as mobile, I might bring my amp. I don't if I know I'm going through some sketchy areas, in which case I may also swtich up to the flash player. But using the sik cable to the Xin cable is a little unwieldy, which is one reason I've cut back to the mx500s/headphone jack. Maybe that'll change when I get around to ordering the right angle mini-to-mini. Then, on a recent long bus ride I brought a PCDP too, but I think I bummed myslef out on it by bringing too many CDs.

I guess to answer my own question, I take a lot of mass transit, walk and skate around the city. Isolation is a mild annoyance and I don't have any closed cans in my quiver, but i'm waiting on a pair of HD25s from Zzounds now.

Nov 14, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 15
well, for traveling, I'm down to the ipod, and come monday, UE-10 pros. I can;t wait. I have all kinds of phones and amps. I think IEMs might be the way to go !!!

Nov 14, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 15
Right now, I'm sitting in a public computer lab listening to music from a 15 gig ipod w/modified battery for increased charge duration->pocketdock lineout->xin S-R 9" mini-to-mini interconnect->modified cmoy w/TLE2426, 2000 uF caps, and OPA2227->KSC75s.

I take this setup everywhere I go except for the weight room. In the weight room, I merely use my ipod with the KSC75s out of the headphone jack.

Approximately 80%-90% of my music time is spent listening to this setup. I am very portable and nomadic due to academic demands.

I think an IEM, xin supermacro, and portable DAC are in my future.

Currently listening to: "Fine Again" by Seether on my *NEW* and GROOVY KSC75s.

Nov 14, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Right now, I'm sitting in a public computer lab listening to music from a 15 gig ipod w/modified battery for increased charge duration->pocketdock lineout->xin S-R 9" mini-to-mini interconnect->modified cmoy w/TLE2426, 2000 uF caps, and OPA2227->KSC75s.

hm. I guess the pocketdock would've worked too, seeing as how I already had the Xin cable. how do you carry this? I don't use a bag or anything -- my similarly sized setup just goes in my jeans or jacket pocket, or hoodie pouch. Which is probably why i prefer to go unamped now.

Nov 14, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna
well, for traveling, I'm down to the ipod, and come monday, UE-10 pros. I can;t wait. I have all kinds of phones and amps. I think IEMs might be the way to go !!!

Can you please lower the font on your sig...

Nov 14, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stet
hm. I guess the pocketdock would've worked too, seeing as how I already had the Xin cable. how do you carry this? I don't use a bag or anything -- my similarly sized setup just goes in my jeans or jacket pocket, or hoodie pouch. Which is probably why i prefer to go unamped now.

I applied industrial strength velcro (w/adhesive) on the outside of my ipod carrying case (came with ipod) and on the bottom surface of my cmoy. I flip my ipod upside down in the case so that the docking port is positioned vertically and is readily accessible for the amplifier interconnect connection.

This does not weigh down my ipod clip excessively. You don't even notice it if you are wearing a jacket. If I could find a site to host my image, I would take a picture of my setup.

Currently listening to: "Shoop" by Salt N Peppa on my groovalizing KSC75s.

Nov 15, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 15
for portability, nothing beats a player and a pair of iem's.

what's great is this combo sounds better than most clunky setups with amps, extra wires and such.

Nov 15, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 15
I've trimmed my portable setup down to a 60GB PhotoPod loaded up with Lossless files and the Sensaphonics 2X-S. I have a perfect sounding SR-71 and Sik cable here that never get used b/c the IEMs direct from the iPod is so damn convenient.

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 15
I tried carrying my cmoy but it became too much of a hassle to fit it in my suit along with my Blackberry, Sidekick II, digital camera and keys. So now I'm pretty happy with just my 3G 15gig iPod and Shure E3c's.

Nov 15, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 15
I stick to my I-Pod G4 pumping straight into my ER4-P or ER4-S as both give me sufficient volume and it mainly just depends on what bass im after. I'm now thinking of getting the audio technica as more of a 'shove in my pocket' setup. I'm happy either way
cool.gif
cool.gif

Cheers
-jake

Nov 15, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 15
I don't typically use headphones when walking...heck, I don't use them most of the day when I'm out of the room. So "portability" for me translates to "train or plane", or some other time, when I'll be spending a rediculous amount of time out.

That said, my "portable" rig is an NJB3, a Pimeta, and a set of HD280s. Home is a computer to the same Pimeta and a set of A900s. So yeah, I'm kind of stuck where I am at the time.

If I got into a situation where I was regularly taking the bus for a long time- say a half-hour or more commute- I'd probably change. But here in Philly, I usually am walking around campus, and a subway ride to center city takes 10 minutes, tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back