How many votes are in your IMDB.com vote history?
Jul 23, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #31 of 37
149 films rated now

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 37
It sounds like you guys are a little to trigger happy with rating movies 10's. There should only be a very few amount of movies that are 10's, like what you would consider the greatest films of all time. But that’s just an opinion.

rsaavedra, with all the movies you gave a 10 how could you not give Akira a 10. One of the most profound social and historical works ever to come from Japan, I'd say it should be up with LOTR at the least. O well...
confused.gif

I normally don’t rate a movie unless it struck be to be defining in a certain aspect of cinema. But I post on the forums a lot.

I love all types of cinema (except most of the crap that comes out of Hollywood) but is anyone here a Miike fan? Takashi Miike, he did Audition, Ichi the killer, gozu, graveyard of honor, the Dead or Alive series..jw

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRKsideOFtheMOON
rsaavedra, with all the movies you gave a 10 how could you not give Akira a 10. One of the most profound social and historical works ever to come from Japan, I'd say it should be up with LOTR at the least. O well...
confused.gif

No way for me. I don't take into account any social or historical impacts of a movie out there, rather try to abstract from anything outside of myself. I liked Akira a lot, but compared to any of the movies I have voted 10 or 9 for, it didn't leave the same level of impression on me on several levels.

Btw last movies I've voted for:
Batman begins: 9
Fantastic Four: 6

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #34 of 37
Take a flying guess as to how many of these overly abundant 10s I have delved out, please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRKsideOFtheMOON
It sounds like you guys are a little to trigger happy with rating movies 10's. There should only be a very few amount of movies that are 10's, like what you would consider the greatest films of all time. But that’s just an opinion.

confused.gif

I normally don’t rate a movie unless it struck be to be defining in a certain aspect of cinema. But I post on the forums a lot.

I love all types of cinema (except most of the crap that comes out of Hollywood) but is anyone here a Miike fan? Takashi Miike, he did Audition, Ichi the killer, gozu, graveyard of honor, the Dead or Alive series..jw

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #35 of 37
I've voted for about 525 movies. These days, I usually vote after seeing a movie, so I can keep my impressions fresh. I also notice that after a viewing, my opinion and my frame of reference changes -- so I'm often changing my opinions on movies after multiple viewings. My criteria for grading is varied and isn't fully objective (how can it be for such a subjective thing as movie opinions?) One which weighs heavily for me is how well the movie stands up after multiple viewings.

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #36 of 37
What are some of the lowest rated films you have rated on IMDB.com?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan
I've voted for about 525 movies. These days, I usually vote after seeing a movie, so I can keep my impressions fresh. I also notice that after a viewing, my opinion and my frame of reference changes -- so I'm often changing my opinions on movies after multiple viewings. My criteria for grading is varied and isn't fully objective (how can it be for such a subjective thing as movie opinions?) One which weighs heavily for me is how well the movie stands up after multiple viewings.

Jul 26, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #37 of 37
A sampling of the movies which are in my "3 and under range":

Any Given Sunday (1999)
Major League: Back to the Minors (1998)
Jack Frost (1997)
Leviatán (1984)
Windtalkers (2002)
Hak hap (ie, Black Mask) (1996)
Shrek (2001)
Road Trip (2000)

Actually, looking over the lower portion of my IMDB list, I probably need to do a bit of rerating and rewatching. As I look over my list, I can't really remember much about the movies in my 3 and under range. Then again, there's probably a reason why my brain decided not to recall what I saw. The films I've listed above are a few of my low-ranked movies that I can still remember why I disliked them.

I also don't have a lot of movies in my 3 and under rankings. I suppose it's for a variety of reasons, though I'm sure one big reason is that these days I don't actively seek out and watch bad movies (I only did that when I was bored in high school). I'm the kind of person who can find at least a few good things to enjoy in a movie, but some movies just strike a certain level of dischord in me or movies that I find have insulted my intelligence.

Assigning number values 1-10 on the absolute merits of a movie (as the IMDB system does) is kind of arbitrary and somewhat pointless, IMO. There are so many different factors that go into my perception of a movie, and just giving it a single encompassing score doesn't do any film justice. When I look at my list, I am always torn about what number to give the film, as it might excel in some areas but lack in others compared to a different movie. And so ranking so arbitrarily on a 1-10 scale just doesn't sit well with me, as I always question my movie rankings in comparison with my other rankings. That is why I'm interested in doing my own kind of ranking system, where I rate all the movies I watch according to different categories, such as "Entertainment factor", "Visuals", "Sound", "Acting" and "Personal factors". I have yet to implement such a review system for myself, but when I do I feel my rankings will more accurately reflect how I really feel about a movie and it will allow me to more objectively see where things should be ranked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back