How many versions of 'Kind of Blue' will be released?
Nov 2, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 27
eek.gif

Is $100 a lot for vinyl? It says its a limited edition. . .

sorry, I don't know anything about the format.

Nov 2, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 27
I never saw a 200gram record before...kinda weird. I wonder if was mastered well. I like how the description makes it sound like they did it for the hell of it...yeah my ass.

Nov 2, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 27
well, it is probably the most popular and well known jazz record...does sound mighty cool for the collectors! only 100 of em.

great way to make a lot of money
cool.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 27
Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc II pressings were 200 gram, at least the one's I own.

I think the number of reissues of this album is ridiculous. I think a lot of this sort of thing is done to get those who mostly own all the music they want (i.e., older fans of jazz and classic rock who have been collecting for a while) to continue to buy recordings by convincing them they have to keep replacing items in their collection with the lastest and greatest reissue on the lastest and greatest format (though the latest isn't always the greatest).

Kind of Funny: I got a lot more pleasure out of listening to a Nice Price vinyl reissue of Kind of Blue on a Fisher rack system with friends and beer in college than I do out of playing my audiophile copy on an expensive tube system today, notwithstanding that the latter obviously sounds way better.

Nov 8, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 27
Well, this thang came in today...sounds sooo good. Guess I'm just a sucker,,,

I've heard it a thousand times, but I've never heard it like this...

I'm in analog heaven, guys!

wink.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 27
Well, I can't find anymore on Classic Record's site so, RickG, seems like you';re one of the priviledged few!
biggrin.gif

A hundred bucks? In the real world, yeah, that's a lot, but this is a personal passion your talking about. If that disc puts you in bliss for a 100 clams, every trip to heaven should be so cheap. Probably a good investment, too. The cool 200gram Mobile Fidelity records (as well as their regular discs) sell for plenty on ebay, so I think you made a wise purchase. But, duuude, don't play it TOO much if you want to sell (I figure five playing is fair if you want to list that disc someday as "mint".

This brings up something I've been wondering about, however. What is the general view (in the press, where ever) about the job Classic Records is doing on their remasters? Are they recieving the same praise as Mobile Fidelity used to?

Nov 9, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 27
FWIW: I know a guy, who at last count had 14 different pressings of Kind of Blue and multiple copies of some. I don't know how many he has on other formats.

My guess is that this album won't decrease much in value as long as there are guys like my friend around.

Its a shame they don't make more colored vinyl issues since it is considered to sound better. Black records have solid pigments added to them (except for JVC which uses black dye) that is supposedly affects the sound (wiser men than I have pondered this) - my vinyl junkie friends say RED sounds the best.

Oh, and congradulations RickG on the find.

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Oh, sh#t, AR...Now I want to hear "Blue" on Red....

wink.gif

I had better clearify that statement: Red records in general are supposed to sound better (something about it being the actual color of the vinyl). I don't know if KOB has ever been released on red vinyl. Sorry if I got your blood pressure up.

Oh, and that friend didn't get his copy before they sold out, so there is one person out there willing to give you at least your money back
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Aren't you supposed to stash ths record (sealed) and resell it at 500% of cost?

Piggy, that's just not my style. Life is too short. My "blue" blue is for listening...not for sale...sorta like my EarMax Pro...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back