How many USB cables do you own ?
Oct 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Chances are that you've accumulated quite a few over time, and it doesnt help that some DAC/amp manufacturers feel compelled to use proprietary connectors/cables. I was thrilled on the weekend when I realised that my T51 has exactly the same connection as my uHA-120 - clearly its a 'standard' USB cable and will be easy to replace if I manage to lose both cables. My MSII seems to use a standard A-B cable, as seen on many printers, but thats about as much luck as I've had in the cable wars.

Thoughts ?

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 13
I have a couple A to mini-B's from digital cameras.

2 for my Cowon J3 (proprietary in the USA)

2 standard A to B (DAC, Printer)

1 A to micro-B (for phone)

1 more A to B

That's about it!  not really any extras around my desk.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 13
I have uh...a ton of random USB cables that have come with various electronic devices I've owned over the years.  No way I'd be able to count them all without doing a huge scavenger hunt around the whole house...

Not a single one of them are "audiophile grade," though!

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 13
Geez so many scattered around the house it would be really difficult to get an accurate number. I know at least 5 mini usb wires.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 13
Maybe 5 or 6 mini-USB, from various DAP's and external HDDs, two sync cables for my Touch, one from my Shuffle, a sync cable from my Zune HD, and two micro-USB....one 4" for my Clip Zip, and one long one for my Nook. And there's a Sansa Fuze cable kicking around too, even though I haven't had a Fuze in months. There may be more, but that's all that comes to mind right now....lol.

Edit....forgot about the cables for my two cameras, and the USB extension that  have....lol.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 13
Four. Two standards, one micro-USB to standard and one mini-USB to standard. I refuse to buy anything that requires proprietary crap and can only urge you all to do the same. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Far to many to find, much less count. Many duplicates.  A slew of proprietary.  Delighted that the microUSB/MHL standard is starting to show up frequently. At one time a made a wall rack with slots I could hang them each from.  My collection outgrew that rack in a flash.  Noticed my Sony S tablet didn't even include a USB cable. Yes, I already had (several) that would work with it.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 13
Too fkin many...

I have one for my iPod shuffle - another for my Nano..

One for my Sonys, one for my ereader (which I think fits my Clip Zip?, or perhaps my compact camera).

One for my phone - another for my radio, a different one for a Samsung

Two of these (I think, are the new micro-usb standard), but I wish I just had 2 - one long, one short, for everything

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 13
I hope boutique audio designers are taking this on board - no more of the proprietary cables, please !

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 13
I guess I'm trying to figure out the significance or purpose of this question?

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 13
If you arent bothered by the fact that you get a different USB cable for every portable device you own, then I guess the significance is zero.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 13
In the family cablebox there are about:

6 USB A to USB A cables/extensions
3 USB A to USB B cables/extentions
5 USB A to USB mini/micro/mini B/whatever small form-factor is cool today
1 USB A to Samsung cord
1 USB A to Sanza Fuze cord
2 USB A to iPod cord.

Plus whichever cords are horded away throughout the house by my sister and dad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back