How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze for Servicing (RMA)?
Oct 16, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #256 of 560
Bah I should look around the site more.
I am looking at what input we can have with the manufacturer's, helping with all aspects of design, manufacturing standards,ideas putting more back, to get more back! And it in this thread just unfocused ideas.

This is one part but they can do analysis of RMA'S thier side. See the LCD4 thread.. for my 10 cents worth.

I was going to suggest a link to something like survey monkey. Both us and a company can get info around a subject. Thread owner gets a feel for what's needed and does he poll. ( Unless the HF web masters can do comprehensive polls here)

A bit more structured and less chance for off topic. Admin still have control if survey isn't to site standards.

Hopefully useful data and more chance of feed back,some off us can't ask at Canjams..RMAF.

We are more than just headphone fans and music lovers. We are skilled educated professionals in our own fields and separate passions, experiences. Hundreds more than work at a little company like Audeze. With a combined knowledge of 1000's of years.

If Audeze or others ask, think what the LCD 5 HE2000 may look cost and sound like, with a community behind it, not just net profit through hard sales.

Get a poll from Audeze on the best way to machine wood, improve supply chain, polymers materials. Design comfort ideas.. not a definitive list but you see my point

What do you think? Expand the idea of this great thread..

I am just an old idealist! and think community means more than just critique or praise.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #257 of 560
Not 42%. There's no validity to this uncontrolled poll (=noisy, uncertain data) regarding trouble-free rate. There's a little validity to the relative proportions of 1, 2 & 3 failures though not the proportions themselves.

Agreed though that existing and future customers need to know Audez'e can put their reliability problems behind them.

Personal experience has told me that they have horrible reliability. Took back mine 4 times for the left driver going out over a period of a year and once for a cracked cup. They never left my room and would rest in their case when not in use. Would baby the hell out of the cans just like I do to my FSP and they would break every time.

Felt bad selling them to someone because they are going to have the same issues.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #258 of 560
^ For sure. Your experience suggests environment and care are not the causes. I don't completely buy the "it's the diaphragm material" either (yet) because of the statistical pattern but...the poll data's about as reliable as - apparently - the phones.

Stories like yours are very sad and Audeze need to fix the problem or go out of business. I'm sure they know that!

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #259 of 560
Naturally, folks who have experienced a problem will post online. People who have experienced no issues are not going to create a post online.

I doubt the issue is super widespread. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #260 of 560
  Naturally, folks who have experienced a problem will post online. People who have experienced no issues are not going to create a post online.

I doubt the issue is super widespread. 

And that's why there are 15 different threads for every TOTL headphone, dedicated to discussing the plights of dozens of people who've had multiple drivers failures.

Oh wait, there aren't.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #261 of 560
And that's why there are 15 different threads for every TOTL headphone, dedicated to discussing the plights of dozens of people who've had multiple drivers failures.

Oh wait, there aren't.

Even if there were hundreds (doubtful), that would still be a tiny fraction of total units sold.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #262 of 560
Only Audeze have a good idea of failure rate. All else is speculation.

Not for debate is that some people have suffered repeated failure despite lavishing great care on their LCD and despite repeated repair by Audez'e, presumably to Audez'e's own exacting standard.

Either Audez'e have (or had) a genuine and I would think not "tiny" problem or some people are just plain unlucky. Either hypothesis is possible but neither can be decided here.

Worth noting though is that Audez'e themselves have stated they had a problem according to responses reported earlier in this thread. It was the diaphragm material. At first they did not know they had the problem; then they discovered they could not determine whether any particular batch of material was faulty; and finally their resolution has been to recently change supplier.

We wait in hope.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #264 of 560
I've sent mine in for the seventh times already...but these still are my favorite/everyday cans.

Just curious on the reasons why these drivers failed so frequently (besides, blaming on Audeze).  Do you think dust has to do anything with failure rate?  Due to thin membrane and all, would dust ruin the thing after a period of time (for me, driver failure occurs every 6 months or so)?      

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #265 of 560
Dust particles or FOD foreign object debris in the manufacturing process could cause weak points on the membrane. For what it does that's a hell of a lot of stress across its surface. Good 5S CLEANING. Daily wiping down with an anti static cleaner, filtered positive pressure air into the spray machine.

Could be a chemical issue with the materials too much solvent that keeps the material in solution. Not agitated enough.
Ambient temp in a hot climate faster burn flash off. Measuring different factors,failure modes. Can refine a process.

Only the people making them can tell.
A clean climatic room temp humidity controlled can base line problem solving issues.

Chemical, microscopy and measurement analysis.
This is were the tech heads at Audeze earn their money...
It takes time and money but can save thousands and more importantly as this thread can unfairly show.. reputation..

Hope it helps.Audeze..
and good luck with your phones Skoob

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #266 of 560
Manufacturing dust is manageable, but how about everyday use?  Open backs could get a lot of dust collected.  Anyone covers theirs up after use?  Any improvement on the failure rate (prolong it)?

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #267 of 560
  Manufacturing dust is manageable, but how about everyday use?  Open backs could get a lot of dust collected.  Anyone covers theirs up after use?  Any improvement on the failure rate (prolong it)?

Dust in the membrane (during manufacturing) = really bad, creates stress-points that could result in ripping of the membrane and failure of the driver. 

Dust on the (during use) = don't believe would be a big issue, could be blown off. There are no open electrical connections to block. Potentially if you had a whole lot of dust it could cake up and gum up between the membrane and magnets, but that would likely have to be a whole lot. Also I'm guessing most people have their HP's hanging so the membranes are vertical, which would minimize collection of dust versus laying flat. And don't remember having seen anything about covering up having helped. Probably wouldn't hurt in just keeping them looking good and such, but would not see it being a big point of impact for minimizing failures. Also if Audeze knew that covering them up helped I'm pretty sure they would have told everyone as that would have been a simple fix. 

Just my 2 cents. And also I've had my LCD-3F's now around 20 months with no issues, although I know I might be one of the lucky ones!

Cheers  

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #268 of 560
Manufacturing aside, EMAIL tech support for dust removal advice. A gentle hoover while blowing inside the cup. At a distance.. This might be to harsh. They must know what's best and not void any warranty... Middy the headfi can killer....

Yer some guy on head fi said a good hoovering after an acid bath and a spin dry...can I RMA it...

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #269 of 560
Yeah, dust couldn't be the real culprit.  After receiving the cans back after my second to last sent-back, the same driver crapped out in about a week.  It just makes you wonder what Audeze is doing...be grateful that your cans are still humming along.

At least I'm in So. Cal., so no biggie keeping RMAing.  Wonder how folks overseas handle this.  

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #270 of 560
  Yeah, dust couldn't be the real culprit.  After receiving the cans back after my second to last sent-back, the same driver crapped out in about a week.  It just makes you wonder what Audeze is doing...be grateful that your cans are still humming along.

At least I'm in So. Cal., so no biggie keeping RMAing.  Wonder how folks overseas handle this.  

I think they pay BIG TIME !!!  There was a guy from New Zealand that mentioned the cost . . . . must be tough . . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back