How many Qualia 010's were produced?
Apr 4, 2006 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

electrathecat

500+ Head-Fier
Not that the answer to this question really means anything even if we could find an exact number, but I was wondering just for curiosity's sake how many Qualia headphones were produced by Sony before they stopped production. A couple hundred? A couple thousand? Any guesstimates?
confused.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 27
Did they really stopped production for good?

As Qualia Stores are still open in USA I thought they were still making small production runs when required, kind of what they did with the R10s.

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad

As Qualia Stores are still open in USA I thought they were still making small production runs when required, kind of what they did with the R10s.

yep there's no news that they actually stopped making them. you can walk into the NYC sony store and order one still as far as i know.

Apr 4, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 27
I have spoken with the Sony Qualia people and it is my understanding that the NYC store is closed and if the Las Vegas store is still open they currently don't have and will not be getting anymore Qualia 010's.

Also the fit kit they promised to send me (even though they have no more phones for sale) never arrived. Add to that a reseller of discontinued audio items ended up with four new pair of Qualia's, presumably directly from Sony.

I would also be very curious to know how many pairs of these exist.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 27
This post just made Qualia's sound 10x better. :p

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
This post just made Qualia's sound 10x better. :p

I dunno man, I listened to a pair of them again tonight. Even properly sealed, they're just SO damned picky about what you plug them into. They're still not for me, no matter how rare.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I dunno man, I listened to a pair of them again tonight. Even properly sealed, they're just SO damned picky about what you plug them into. They're still not for me, no matter how rare.

I see SA5Ks in your future.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad

The production has ceased in Japan back in December (as stated on Sony website), so I assume that they're now just using up remaining stocks.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
I see SA5Ks in your future.
biggrin.gif

I see jjcha's on my desk now, relegated off of my head while the RS1s rock on! They're almost as quick, but everything has such better timbre...

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

I see jjcha's on my desk now, relegated off of my head while the RS1s rock on! They're almost as quick, but everything has such better timbre...

Lucky. Are the RS-1s colored as much as I have read?

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Lucky. Are the RS-1s colored as much as I have read?

*shrugs* Yeah, they're colored. All depends on whether you like the coloration or not.

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Heh, I auditioned the Qualia 010 so many times in Tokyo. I think I went to the Sony building and listened four times. The last 2 times I went, I went credit card in hand resolved to buy. But each time I came home empty handed. Every time I had thought, "I can't buy this, this just sounds bad."

Finally I got sick of it, and the last time, I just went in and made myself buy it without listening to it. Went straight up to the desk and sat down to be fitted. Well, that's not exactly true. I put on a demo pair in the display area, and yes, it sounded bad. So I quickly took them off and went in and bought it anyway.

Sounds weird, eh? Guess I bought them this way for a number of reasons.

I dunno, for me it takes at least 3 weeks to really understand what I'm hearing from a headphone, and I figured the 010 would be the same. Most things sound pretty good/but not good enough for me to buy when I first hear them.

I really realy liked my SA5k. So I figured dang, if I like the SA5k, how much better could the 010 be?

And heck, it looks damn cool. Everyone knows I like buying cool stuff.

Anyway, I bought them. Then I got them. When I first got them, I didn't hear the weird echoeyness or nasty sibilent highs that I had heard every time I had auditioned them before. I guess a month or two with the SA5k had gotten me prepared for that. But I seriously wondered if I had made a mistake as I really liked the SA5k a lot more. It was more upfront, punchier, had a more macho sound. Honestly, it sounded more like a Grado compared to the wimpy "refinement" of the 010.

But two weeks later I did a SA5k group buy, and it just so happened one buyer was the perfect candidate to sell the SA5k to, as he would give it a good home. I sold it to him, happy to do so, but almost immediately regretted it. I still thought (and still do, to this day, to some degree) that the SA5k was far better for my music.

So a few weeks later, I did another SA5k group buy and bought one for myself at that time. But by then, it was all over. The far superior soundstaging/imaging 3d nature of the 010 as well as a general preference for its more subtle but rewarding tone had won me over. Honestly, that second SA5k Mercuttio's borrownig has been on loan for about 9 months out of the last year, as I rarely listen to it. From time to time I'll listen to it - and recently it hit that great sweet spot for me again. But as much as I like it, and I like it a lot, it's an inferior headphone to me.

Heh, I could tell a similar story for the HP1000 or even the Sensaphonics or Shure E5c. But that's for another thread.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back