How many people here get irritated by 'normals'?
Mar 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #166 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say moofasa, you've been pretty harsh on people who have offered u a no opinion, and in my opinion its unwarranted...

First of all these gross generalizations that evaluate education quality on the basis of state are ridiculous. The quality of schools in the US fluctuates greatly on a county and local level. Schools in rich neighborhoods or counties tend to be better because they have more money. I don't think you can judge the whole state because you went to some crummy public school or private hippy factory for 5 months. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the criticism.

Personally, I understand where you guys are coming from because I have a natural inclination to be critical as well. Sometimes I do feel anger is a more powerful fuel than glucose, but, at the same time, I've also come to realize that being annoyed by people is a symptom of a massively inflated ego (as the monkey already implicated). I am constantly trying to keep my condescension in check and cut people some slack; they behave differently in different circumstances and nobody is perfect. There is always something you can learn from somebody anyways, even if you may be more cultured or educated than they are in certain respects. I will qualify this by saying I am an impetuous kid of 18.

(***MODS Feel free to remove this next part if you feel its too political. It really isn't about politics, its about superficiality.)

All that being said, there is one thing I have been unable to learn to tolerate and that is hipsters. I don't really understand the appeal of the hipster look, but that doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is people who take an incredibly conservative approach to liberalism because they don't really care about the ideals, they want to practice a bohemian lifestyle while being perceived as liberal intellectuals. I'm tired of people getting on soapboxes and spouting nonsense about tired, historically-ineffective, textbook radical social theories and condemning "the man," and then not doing **** about it. After stepping down, rather than getting involved in organizations that make change (ex. Amnesty, ACLU), they do drugs and get involved in feckless strokefests like SDS-revival to prop up their counter-cultural image. Hipsters are just sick perversions of hippies without a cause. That annoys me.

Nice Akathriel. What are your perceived problems with "the man" and/or societal structure(in the US) and what would you do to improve things?
What are your "ideals"?

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #167 of 220
Those are overtly political questions so I am only going to answer the first part. I wouldn't have gone to school where I do if I didn't share those ideals in a very abstract way, but I am firm believer in engaging the system as it works and working from moderacy to those ideals through established means. Rejecting society altogether is a cop-out, its an excuse to talk to trash and do nothing.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #168 of 220
@ akathriel. Most of my rude responses are meant to be sarcastic or "ironic" (not actually irony, but you know what I mean).
In other news, 5 members of my immediate family are teachers (originally starting in QLD, then moving to sydney and then WA). I have a fairly decent idea on the shortcomings of education in most of the states in australia (I cant comment on the territories) because of my family. So yeah, can kind of comment if I wish - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
As for american education, I've been using the internet for a long time and after venturing away from the IPX protocol (which resulted in far too high latency to america for most things), have been in contact with americans for a long time. Naturally, with the "americans are so dumb" stereotype you here, education has come up more than once - not to mention taht a lot of the TV we get here is american and may mention the edu system. Based on what we have talked about IMO the education system here is better than the one over there (although again IMO the local edu system is getting worse every year with being out of date + new crap thats not needed). That does not mean that Americans are inherently dumb nor poorly educated; they just have a different knowledge set which may or may not be worse from person to person.
As this is a board for communication, I will not apply tact to what I say because IMO it gets in the way of said comminique. If you are offended by what I say, take me less seriously, apply tact to what you read, take it with a grain of salt or simply ignore me.
Cheers for the heads up man

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #170 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ akathriel. Most of my rude responses are meant to be sarcastic or "ironic" (not actually irony, but you know what I mean).
In other news, 5 members of my immediate family are teachers (originally starting in QLD, then moving to sydney and then WA). I have a fairly decent idea on the shortcomings of education in most of the states in australia (I cant comment on the territories) because of my family. So yeah, can kind of comment if I wish - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
As for american education, I've been using the internet for a long time and after venturing away from the IPX protocol (which resulted in far too high latency to america for most things), have been in contact with americans for a long time. Naturally, with the "americans are so dumb" stereotype you here, education has come up more than once - not to mention taht a lot of the TV we get here is american and may mention the edu system. Based on what we have talked about IMO the education system here is better than the one over there (although again IMO the local edu system is getting worse every year with being out of date + new crap thats not needed). That does not mean that Americans are inherently dumb nor poorly educated; they just have a different knowledge set which may or may not be worse from person to person.
As this is a board for communication, I will not apply tact to what I say because IMO it gets in the way of said comminique. If you are offended by what I say, take me less seriously, apply tact to what you read, take it with a grain of salt or simply ignore me.
Cheers for the heads up man

I'm not asking you to pander, but imo headfi isn't just a board for communication, it has one of the friendliest atmospheres of any forum on the web and is closer to a community. Its not so uncommon to meet people you talk to here in person, which gives it a very different flavor.

I am not disputing the fact that on average Americans are less educated than their peers. I was just pointing out the fact that judging the quality of education on states is not a legitimate form of measure because you are comparing it to the more standardized systems in your own countries; there is not any effective standardization (lol @ no child left behind) in the US. There are no government tests to see whether you go to college/university. I'm not defending this system, because it is largely ineffective but I do want to get the facts straight. That being said, I am a product of the American public school system and I hold an IB diploma, which I would like to think counts for something as to the quality of my education for those abroad.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #173 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too lazy to rebut, congrats on your diploma. OH LOOK A YOUTUBE VIDEO

LMAO...

nice video limp!

Akathriel will make a fine politician someday.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #174 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO...

nice video limp!

Akathriel will make a fine politician someday.

The video was great lol.

@moofasa, if that's really all u got out of that...you missed the boat. The point was that some public schools in the US certainly do provided a competitive education, and while on average, the quality may be lower, the standard deviation is much higher here than other countries. The same applies to higher education here...until you move into the private sector.

Nah, I just enjoy arguing with people on teh internetz...

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #175 of 220
>teh internetz
stopped reading.
Luckily that was the end of the post.
no hard feelings of course, and I'm sure there are great schools with great results in asian dominated suburbs [size=xx-small]just kidding[/size]

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #176 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, here's one, your behind someone on the road and this person is wanting to turn. The moron in front of you drives very slow and swerves into the turn lane at the last minute instead of using the turn lane to move out of the way and then slow down. Totally makes me want to go "Death Race".
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lots of hugs for everyone, just don't get in front of my car!
wink.gif

Man you are ****ed.

What if they are lost, you don't know their story. You don't even know who they are. You should calm down ALOT, life's not going anywhere don't worry. You are what make the american society frowned upon. (I know you dont post where your from, but I can tell)

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #177 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man you are ****ed.

What if they are lost, you don't know their story. You don't even know who they are. You should calm down ALOT, life's not going anywhere don't worry. You are what make the american society frowned upon. (I know you dont post where your from, but I can tell)

olblue told where he was from in another post. The one you told him you hope he gets stabbed...'member? Man I'm a burnout and I remember that...

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #178 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man you are ****ed.

You also don't know me or my story or what its like to drive around here. Too many cats wearing watermelons driving around and cant drive for ****! Try Wash DC, Maryland, Virginia sometime. I see the same people driving the same cars making the same mistakes all the time, besides, anyone who knows how to drive would just go another block and turn around or pull over and find out where the hell they are. If you took that melon off your head you would know that. Your not the only one who can tell where people are from, all I have to do is look at how people drive and I know.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back