How many people here get irritated by 'normals'?
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #151 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is the closest thing on head-fi to the self righteousness and pedantry and bickering of a wikipedia discussion section.*citation needed*

Sounds like a lot of fun. Hmmm... that description seems to fit a few threads in the Cables, Power, Tweaks... sub forum.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #152 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find myself very irritable when it comes to idiocy, which I find in most people in that dreaded place "outside". Most people also annoy me quite frequently. I never get angry, because thats not the type of person I am, I just get irritated by so many people so easily to the point where I prefer the least possible contact. People breathing loudly when they eat, or even online with communities and reviewers. Call me a negative nancy all you like. Would elaborate, but I want to keep it short.

I like this this thread.

I find it interesting that we have been blessed here at HF recently with so many superior intellects. The site was well on its way down the drain until the recently-joined, self-proclaimed geniuses stepped in to save us from our own useless braying.

As a "normal," I can only imagine--and take some small satisfaction in--how much I must annoy you and your ilk. What with my heavy breathing and silly typing, it's enough to drive a man insane.

We are lucky to have you with us.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #153 of 220
I can't fall asleep in public due to 100+ decibel snoring (A-weighted)...

Woe is me.

frown.gif

EK

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #155 of 220
Let face it, you can pretend all you want but the average head-fi'er and any other regular member of an online community who spends X amount of hours in front of a screen is anything but normal.

I for one find it sad that someone who is troubled enough to post what they find disturbs them gets grief and self righteous platitudes from fellow internet losers. You reach a critical mass of opinion in these places and people feel safe to lay the boot in.

Why are people so unkind?

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #156 of 220
Meh... I see these threads as a place to have a bit of a moan. What's it gonna hurt? What's it gonna help? Nada.

The thread title pretty much tells people what's going to be in the thread... people having a bit of a moan. Seems pretty easy to avoid these threads if you so choose.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #159 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pyzamreality.jpg

The plot is a bit thin, the characters are two dimensional, but the graphics are pretty good. It does crash a lot, but that's because he's using windows.

I understand the soon-to-be-released reality graphics patch will make the graphics better than life-like.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #160 of 220
I have to say moofasa, you've been pretty harsh on people who have offered u a no opinion, and in my opinion its unwarranted...

First of all these gross generalizations that evaluate education quality on the basis of state are ridiculous. The quality of schools in the US fluctuates greatly on a county and local level. Schools in rich neighborhoods or counties tend to be better because they have more money. I don't think you can judge the whole state because you went to some crummy public school or private hippy factory for 5 months. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the criticism.

Personally, I understand where you guys are coming from because I have a natural inclination to be critical as well. Sometimes I do feel anger is a more powerful fuel than glucose, but, at the same time, I've also come to realize that being annoyed by people is a symptom of a massively inflated ego (as the monkey already implicated). I am constantly trying to keep my condescension in check and cut people some slack; they behave differently in different circumstances and nobody is perfect. There is always something you can learn from somebody anyways, even if you may be more cultured or educated than they are in certain respects. I will qualify this by saying I am an impetuous kid of 18.

(***MODS Feel free to remove this next part if you feel its too political. It really isn't about politics, its about superficiality.)

All that being said, there is one thing I have been unable to learn to tolerate and that is hipsters. I don't really understand the appeal of the hipster look, but that doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is people who take an incredibly conservative approach to liberalism because they don't really care about the ideals, they want to practice a bohemian lifestyle while being perceived as liberal intellectuals. I'm tired of people getting on soapboxes and spouting nonsense about tired, historically-ineffective, textbook radical social theories and condemning "the man," and then not doing **** about it. After stepping down, rather than getting involved in organizations that make change (ex. Amnesty, ACLU), they do drugs and get involved in feckless strokefests like SDS-revival to prop up their counter-cultural image. Hipsters are just sick perversions of hippies without a cause. That annoys me.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #161 of 220
Quote:

First of all these gross generalizations that evaluate education quality on the basis of state are ridiculous. The quality of schools in the US fluctuates greatly on a county and local level. Schools in rich neighborhoods or counties tend to be better because they have more money. I don't think you can judge the whole state because you went to some crummy public school or private hippy factory for 5 months.

Yet bang for buck wise, how does the US rank internationally?

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #162 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why are people so unkind?

That's the nature of the beast on the internet. Web forums are tame compared to Usenet too so don't let it get to you.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #163 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet bang for buck wise, how does the US rank internationally?

What does that have to do with my point? I am talking about the comparison of education by state. In answer to your question, not that great. There are places in the US where you can get a very good public education in high school (these tend to be magnets and IB schools) and higher education but at both levels there is no doubt that quality tends to be more consistent when you pay for it. The US is not as socialized as other developed countries, although that might be changing.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #164 of 220
I have found some of the worst bullies are the ones who get or have been bullied themselves and haven't got the intelligence or self knowledge to do anything about it. In other words the victim becomes the perpetrator.

The absolute worst are the manipulative psychos of course.

Quote:

here is one thing I have been unable to learn to tolerate and that is hipsters.

I don't mind them as long as they wax their bikini line.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #165 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like this this thread.

I find it interesting that we have been blessed here at HF recently with so many superior intellects. The site was well on its way down the drain until the recently-joined, self-proclaimed geniuses stepped in to save us from our own useless braying.

We are lucky to have you with us.

Cheers man!
[size=xx-small]disclaimer about how a freak is not necessarily smarter than a normal and that I dont recall saying how smart or otherwise I am[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back