How many people have used (Japanese) Audio-Technica headphones?
Jul 6, 2001 at 6:42 PM Post #16 of 34
yeah, no kidding. It would sure be nice if they were easier to get, even if I want one I have no idea how to get it. Obviously I can't listen before I buy, and I'm positive that no US web retailers carry it. I at least wish I could get more info on them. I've found to short reviews in japanese which I had to machine translate, they came out as total gibberish but they seemed to be positive. All I've really got it tomcat's review, and he's really cruel to say so many nice things about a phone I can't have!
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #18 of 34
yeah, I was sure hoping that a few more headwizers might have had some experience with these headphones. Guess not though!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2001 at 1:38 AM Post #19 of 34
you can get those ugly i-mac-style translucent blue AT headphones from radioshack. I don't remember if i've listened to them before, but i would never wear those anyways... they probably don't compare with any of these headphones...

Jul 8, 2001 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 34
I had that iMac-inspired pair ("iCool", ATH-C5 I think) for a few months. From the outside it's the same size/design as the leopard skin pimp-o-phone, except for the driver housing.

I remember it as fairly comfortable, but not sounding good enough. It's a bit short in every aspect - a little dark, a little hollow, a little too hot. Kind of like a darker version of Sony - you can tell it's not a Sennheiser soundstage.

The one definite advantage is that it's very handy. AT designed it so that you can fold the phone, wrap the cord around it, and stick the plug into a hole on each side of the headband. Very handy when you're going out, actually.

P.S. The ATH-W11JPN was reviewed by the webmaster of a Japanese headphone site; he thought it was good but not worth the price.

http://www.tk.xaxon.ne.jp/~bbsitake/w11jpn.htm

(URL may change soon)

Jul 8, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #21 of 34
btw, on that site leon posted, there are pictures of the drivers of those headphones, covered by an aluminum protector with many holes in it. I have an old pair of pioneer headphones that have exaclty IDENTICAL contruction to those phones (aluminum outside, not wood
frown.gif
). Unfortunately those pioneers are WAY too warm for my tastes (which actually sounds like the discription on the wooden AT's)... hmm

Jul 9, 2001 at 8:52 AM Post #23 of 34
Neruda:
I own the ATH-W100, the wooden headphones, and they are the most beautiful headphones I ever saw (R10 King is arguably prettier), and also have the best workmanship. Impeccable workmanship!
So far as I know, the headphone line of Audio-technica divides into two categories, one for domestic use only (made in Japan) and the other for export (made in Taiwan). The AD series and the wooden headphones fall in the first category and the 908, 911 etc., which many Americans are familiar with, belong to the second category. It is a pity that the hi-end models, W11, W100, AD10 and AD9, are not available to US customers.
The sound of W100? Very warm and fluid, without sacrificing details. The vocals are especially charming. And they are very sensitive, most CD walkmans can drive them with ease. I guess it is very close to SONY CD3000.
I originated a thread in headwize forum about this (with some nice pics) and when headwize forums revive, you may want to check it out.

Nov 2, 2001 at 6:21 AM Post #27 of 34
bump! I'm bringing the thread back up since a coupla people have been asking about the Audio-technica line. Anyone in japan want to indulge, get a few pairs, and tell us what they think?
wink.gif

by the way, if you haven't been paying attention, here are the new A-T's:
The ATH-W2002 wooden headphones:
ath-w2002.jpg

the ATH-A100Ti's:
top.jpg

And here's their new 1.2 Watt Class A amplifier, the AT-HA2002:
ha2002.jpg

Nov 2, 2001 at 7:05 AM Post #28 of 34
I have a pair of ATH-8, which is an Electret Sterephone. It is about 20 years old and need new pads which I cannot find and maybe the polarized diaphragms which I cannot find neither.
frown.gif

Any help?? It is ashamed to let it just to sit inside my closet.

Nov 2, 2001 at 8:16 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by discoman
I have a pair of ATH-8, which is an Electret Sterephone. It is about 20 years old and need new pads which I cannot find and maybe the polarized diaphragms which I cannot find neither.
frown.gif

Any help?? It is ashamed to let it just to sit inside my closet.

I have a pair of those sitting around here somewhere too. As I recall, both sides still work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back