How many Pearl Jam rip-offs can you name?
Aug 15, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 27
You guys keep using the word punk, which is interesting. Among my friends, copying Eddie Vedder would not be very punk (adjective vs. noun, I suppose).

Aug 15, 2001 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 27
Teacher: "Class repeat after me: Creed are a bunch of unoriginal punks"

Class: "Creed are a bunch of unoriginal punks."

Student, raising hand quickly: "Can I try one teacher???please??"

Teacher: "sure, go ahead junior"

Student: "It is very punk to copy someone elses homework."

Teacher: "Wrong!!! 'punk' is a noun you little twerp! No go sit in the corner!!"

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2001 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 27
The more I think about it, the more depressed I (seriously) get about this kind of thing. I love music, like it was a kid or something. All the audio equipment in the world couldn't make up if all my favorite types of music were takin away.

And its not even really the sound or style that bothers me. Its that this popular **** hasn't even got a damn ounce of HONESTY in it. No passion, no desire, no love. Its all just image and papers.

I mean, I could respect a group and chill to the music even if it wasn't particulary my style, as long as it was true am came straight from the soul.

Aug 15, 2001 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 27
Wayne, Attacking my verbing of a noun? How dare you! Of course, I will concede that there is no participle form (i.e. punking). But, after all, rock and roll is now an adjective....

And massappeal, you may find this either comforting or depressing, but crap has always been around. Uninspired writers, artists, musicians, ship captains, dancers, etc...

These things will always sell. Ironically, maybe that's what makes finding a soulful artist extra special.

Aug 15, 2001 at 7:59 PM Post #20 of 27
huy_ha,

Just having a little fun! No disrespect intended. Actually I kinda like the word punk as an adj. I guess its a regional thing, I hadn't heard it that way before. A few years ago I was driving my Outback around in Southern Cal, and some surfer comes up to my car and says, hey that car is pretty sick! Being the 30 yr old geezer that I was to this kid, I thought he meant my car looked grotesque, ugly, whatever... Of course now I know what he meant
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I love punk!

Aug 15, 2001 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 27
Wayne, I was just being a punk-ass (another adj./noun!). Just as long as you don't start calling me dude.

Back to the point of the thread, is Pearl Jam already so "old" that kids don't know where this vocal style is coming from? I remember "Ten" being very different from both pop and grunge when it came out. I'm bored with Pearl Jam now, but they did start their own thing.

Aug 15, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by huy_ha
You guys keep using the word punk, which is interesting. Among my friends, copying Eddie Vedder would not be very punk (adjective vs. noun, I suppose).

Umm.. punk.. not like Iggy Pop, but a young bubblegum pop punk.

Aug 15, 2001 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 27
Huy,

right on dude
smily_headphones1.gif

To some of these kids 10 years ago means "classic rock". For me, even in 40 years, classic rock will always be 60's and 70's. Scary huh? I was in line to buy tickets for The Cult awhile ago, and this kid behind me was waiting to buy tickets to Korn or something. As soon as I asked for my tickets he says "The Cult huh? aint those guys like classic rock or something?" It was a wake up call, I had always thought of myself as the young rebel into all the latest stuff. I guess one of the signs of aging is slowly becoming disenchanted with the latest trends. Mabe this is what this whole discussion all boils down to...there always have been and always will be the young "punks" into all the latest stuff, and the jaded older people with more "mature" tastes..hmmmmmm...

About PJ, I still enjoy and respect their sound, but Eddie Vedder is not exactly the most excitting man to watch perform - he looks kind of bored too.

Aug 16, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Wayne77
About PJ, I still enjoy and respect their sound, but Eddie Vedder is not exactly the most excitting man to watch perform - he looks kind of bored too.

He used to be fun to watch -- the whole band was.. but then he hit the overweight Elvis stage, and soon after became the hugest high-on (at least he seemed that way in interviews -- as if he could never really deliniate what was on his mind). I do miss the old school Pearl Jam (circa 1991, 92).

Aug 21, 2001 at 2:02 PM Post #27 of 27
Their vocalist has a vocal style that is all to reminiscent of Eddie Vedder and PJ. Yes, they are darker, but that singing sounds, to me, just like PJ. Its that way of singing with the faint 'rrrr' sound at the end of every phrase. Anyway, I don't intend to diss the band too much. They are certainly more original than such drek as Lifehouse and Creed = Blatant ripoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back