Sony D-311
Sony D-515
Sony D-555
Sony D-465

Panasonic SL-S651C
Panasonic SL-SX500
Panasonic SL-CT800

Iriver SlimX

Note: some of the players above, I have more than one.

Used to own:

Panasonic SL-S700
Denon DCP-71??
Sony D-EJ01
Sony D-EJ925
Sony D-EJ915

Anyway, I didn't include my MD player/recorder. On the headphone out alone, I would have to give my vote to my Sharp MD-SS323. Sharp MD-SS323's headphone jack is so great that lately I have been using my Sony MDR-CD3000 unamped.

Purk

eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #47 of 76
I have three...

Sony D-E301
Sony D-EJ611 (broken)
Sony D-CJ01

Feb 22, 2003 at 9:02 AM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
There were two DCP-100's sold here at head-fi recently.

Yes,those two was mine which i sold to GaryL. I actually wanted to keep one for myself but realized that i didn't buy many cds to listen with it. I think most people paid way over $100 for other pcd like optimus CD3400 while a small group really know Denon PCD. Most people overlook these Denon DCP series just because they look so plain. But DCP100 is probably one of the pcd with the best built quality and most accurate sounding one too. The bass is not heavy but crisp and well defined,the midrange is accurate and the sound is airy. I think Denon made this pcd when the company is at the very high point of hi-fi audio equipment market. It can be cleary seen thet they are so confidence in the sound quality that there is no adjustment like bass selector on the unit at all.

DCP100_1.JPG.jpg

Feb 22, 2003 at 9:41 AM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by NEO
Yes,those two was mine which i sold to GaryL. I actually wanted to keep one for myself but realized that i didn't buy many cds to listen with it. I think most people paid way over $100 for other pcd like optimus CD3400 while a small group really know Denon PCD. Most people overlook these Denon DCP series just because they look so plain. But DCP100 is probably one of the pcd with the best built quality and most accurate sounding one too. The bass is not heavy but crisp and well defined,the midrange is accurate and the sound is airy. I think Denon made this pcd when the company is at the very high point of hi-fi audio equipment market. It can be cleary seen thet they are so confidence in the sound quality that there is no adjustment like bass selector on the unit at all.

I wish I could listen to it, I just finally received mine and it turns out to be defective
mad.gif

One of the gears is almost broken, it's bent. The hold switch is pulverized and the LCD display has some small black leaks in it.

It wasn't mentioned in the auction that it was still playing, but it wasn't sold as being defective. Another lesson learned I guess.

Just found out the lid is metal, but the gray casing is plastic!

Feb 22, 2003 at 12:12 PM Post #50 of 76
Wow!
biggrin.gif

I tried to glue the broken plastic gear, ofcourse, that totally wasn't going to work, and it didn't.

Thought of some weird Mac Guyver tricks to fix it...

Searched for small round stickers, but couldn't find any. My wife found some (paper) labels for me to cut to the right shape. This was really tricky, that gear is tiny. Stuck one piece of label on each side of the gear, the label didn't really fit well, didn't really seem to hold the tiny broken piece in place well enough.

This wasn't going to work, ever.

However, it did work!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

The excess paper apparently wore away by itself, the broken piece apparently stayed in place. The disc played, no skipping, no weird side-effects.

This player sounds great!!! It's quite loud (it's the first Denon PCDP, if I remember correctly), it doesn't have megabass but it sounds really neutral and detailed with very smooth treble. Now I understand what people like about the DCP-100.

I don't have a suitable batterypack for it yet, but it already sounds great with a wall wart, contrary to the DCP-150.

I'll do a comparison between the DCP-100 and DCP-150 another time.

Feb 22, 2003 at 1:32 PM Post #51 of 76
Oh well, I feel quite humbled... seeing that you guys have loads of PCDPs...

My two classics look nearly identical, bet you can't guess what they are...
biggrin.gif

Ok suspense time over
wink.gif

D777
D-E905

And then for MD creating

D-EJ1000

But, MD is where it is at for me now... and my MD collection is growing... by the week
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #52 of 76
Hi LamerDeluxe,

After you mentioning the lower casing is plastic I had to reinspect both my players. The top and bottom on mine are metal, but now that I look closely at the sides of the case it looks like it could be indeed plastic. Very hard to tell because it's covered with that deep olive green ruff surface coat.

Had me fooled I thought the whole case was metal. Of course that has nothing to do with the way these players sound.

Feb 22, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #53 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by GaryL
Hi LamerDeluxe,

After you mentioning the lower casing is plastic I had to reinspect both my players. The top and bottom on mine are metal, but now that I look closely at the sides of the case it looks like it could be indeed plastic. Very hard to tell because it's covered with that deep olive green ruff surface coat.

Had me fooled I thought the whole case was metal. Of course that has nothing to do with the way these players sound.

I only noticed it was plastic when I took it apart, had me fooled as well. But, green? Mine are dark grey with no coloration. The coating of these things is really cool.

Feb 22, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #54 of 76
Your right more grey than dark olive green, it was still pretty early in the morning when I was inspecting them.

I'm really interested in your inpression of the sound between the DCP-150 and the 100.

I'm on the lookout for a 150 and it would be nice to read some comparisons of the two as far as quality of sound.

You are the only one I am aware of that has both players.

Feb 22, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #55 of 76
First impression of the differences between the headphone-outs are that the DCP-150 with the second 'boost' setting brings out more detail than the DCP-100.

I guess the DCP-100 has a very slightly rolled-off treble, resulting in a smooth sound at a slight loss of detail. It's very pleasant to listen to though, it's hard to stop listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can recognize the nice signature sound of the PCM66 DACs, also used in the D-25s, but the DCP-100 sounds smoother (though probably less detailed and forward) and has an overal fuller and more neutral sound.

Like I mentioned before, the bass&treble boost on the DCP-150 don't seem like they're boosting, it sounds like the 'off' setting is filtering out bass and treble, that might be to work well with cheap headphones.

I just read about the Optimus 3400 that it's non-boost setting actually filters out pre-boosted elements of the audio. I also know that there are some players that have a setting for filtering treble.

Anyway, listening to the DCP-100 sent shivers down my spine, so it's sound is really good
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #56 of 76
Thank you for your impressions.

I've been doing some serious listening comparisons with the Sony D-303 and the DCP-100. It has been very difficult to tell which one sounds the best because they both sound very good in thier own special way.

I will try to do a comparison review on them in the near future.

Feb 22, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
Wow!
biggrin.gif

I tried to glue the broken plastic gear, ofcourse, that totally wasn't going to work, and it didn't.

Thought of some weird Mac Guyver tricks to fix it...

Searched for small round stickers, but couldn't find any. My wife found some (paper) labels for me to cut to the right shape. This was really tricky, that gear is tiny. Stuck one piece of label on each side of the gear, the label didn't really fit well, didn't really seem to hold the tiny broken piece in place well enough.

This wasn't going to work, ever.

However, it did work!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

The excess paper apparently wore away by itself, the broken piece apparently stayed in place. The disc played, no skipping, no weird side-effects.

LamerDeluxe:

You never cease to amaze me!! Between you and MekanoPlastik...
cool.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
LamerDeluxe:

You never cease to amaze me!! Between you and MekanoPlastik...
cool.gif

I was totally amazed that it worked at all, don't know how long that fix will last, but it's strange that it's playing without a hitch.

It has a cool system for moving the laser head (that's where the broken gear was), it uses four gears and a toothed bar instead of a worm wheel, which is quite fast and quiet.

It also doesn't skip easily, I tapped it a couple of times and nothing happened. That while the DCP-150 skips when you look at it.

I want to do that AA battery mod here at head-fi for it, but I can't find the rectangular 2xAA battery holders.

EDIT: Oh and I wanted to write that we need much more cool Mekanoplastik adventures here
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back