How many pairs of headphones do you own?
Dec 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #20 of 212

Quote:
5 pairs, and number 6 got ordered today. Got bitten by the bug recently, so I'm currently hunting high and low for that illusive "perfect" pair. Will keep 1 for gaming/movies, 1 for generally enjoying music and 1 for massive volume/bass. The rest will be sold. Atleast that's the plan

It's such a possessive bug.
I'm currently at 4: 3 full size and an iem. This will inevitably narrow down to 1 full size plus the iem.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 212
Let's count 'em. Full-size headphones only, since the earbuds aren't worth talking about.

-Sansui SS-20 (hand-me-down from my stepfather, who doesn't use them anymore; neither do I when I have alternatives)
-Sony MDR-CD180 (portable headphone until the headband broke; would upset me more if they weren't a yard sale find for a few dollars)
-Panasonic RP-HTF600 (portable headphone)
-Stax SR-Lambda (rebuilt drivers; was main desktop headphone)
-Stax SR-202 (current main desktop headphone; haven't decided if I'll sell this one or the vintage Lambda yet)

If I hadn't sold it off already, I'd add the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 to that list.

Five headphones in all, four in practical terms (not having broken headbands)...and I'll cut that down by one soon because I don't need two Stax Lambda systems. (That is, if anyone would make an offer on one of the Stax systems...)

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 212
The most I've ever had at one time is 4 full size headphones but I've sold all but one now.
Don't really pay attention to my IEM's but I've got 3 of them on standby.

Can't imagine keeping more than 4 headphones and actually listen to all of them regularly.
That said, I plan on keeping: Pro 900, HD650, DT990, Q701

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 212
I'm currently at 1 pair of IEMs and 1 pair of full-size headphones. I use the IEMs when I'm on the go, and the full-size pair when I'm at home. I've gone through a number of headphones, but I always find myself selling the ones I don't need or use that often.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #25 of 212
Eight

3 Grados, an HF2, a wooudied 225, and an SR60 that needs new wood cups

1 modded Fostex T50

1 pair of Porta Pro's with silver cable

1 IEM, the Sunrise SW Xcape

A pair of Sony MDR150's, and...

The earbuds that came with my Sansa Clip laying in a drawer somewhere.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #26 of 212
I have five pairs presently (four full-size models for at home, one ECH for on the go), six if you count a set that is no longer hooked up/functional (it's complicated). This has gone up and down over the last few years, the last time I had many models at home, I started selling them off - that likely won't happen now (I'm on the fence about buying "number five" at the moment). 

I found this quote interesting, and thought I'd explain at least my perspective. I have all of my at-home headphones (the ECHs are basically never counted and I tend to forget them until I'm using them (which, ironically, is near daily); they live in my briefcase) on inexpensive stands (banana hooks) on a shelf. Sometimes I will deliberately select a given can if I'd like to listen to a specific album that I know it will excel at, but generally I pick a can based on the signature I'd like to hear, now how they interact with a specific genre (in other words, if I want a very spacious presentation, there's a can for that; if I want a very bassy presentation, there's a can for that). One more pragmatic feature of having this arrangement, is during cold or hot months, I can switch between cans if one is too cold (for example the leather pads being stiff) or if one warms up too much on my head (...also usually the leather pads).

The biggest complaints/problems faced with this arrangement are the overall weight on the shelf (it's a very shoddily built shelf, mind you), and cord management (I should say "that wire hell that I ignore"). Back in the day I had a desk with large drawers, and just kept all of the headphones in one drawer - it actually worked very nicely in terms of keeping the wire mess out of sight, but it was a pain if you wanted something "at the bottom." 

Pretty much, the summary is: you do whatever the hell you want, it's excessive to the max, and as long as you get on well with all of the headphones you've selected, there's really no legitimate complaints. It *does* suck though when you've got one pair of cans that stands apart from the others, and you're constantly comparing things. I'm glad to be done with that phase.

Quote:
To the people with multiple headphones: How does that work? Do you simply swap out headphones based on what your current musical muse is?

Legitimate question; I'm not sure how this is done.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #28 of 212
6 pairs of headphones and 1 pair of iems.

Headphones
Shure srh840, shure srh940 (not here yet), sennheiser hd 25 1 ii, audio technica ath m50, alessandro ms1, pioneer se m390

Iems
Shure se215

I also have a couple pairs of generic headphones which aren't worth mentioning like my old sony mdr xd200s.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #30 of 212

I got 2 open for mid-fi home listening, 1 open lo-fi for work, 1 closed lo-fi for train, 1 pair of IEMs for cycling and 1 pair of IEMs for the fun of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back