How many of you prefer listening with cans over speakers?
Mar 14, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #16 of 50
Mar 15, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #17 of 50
Use my headphones most off time expect for watching movies and games ,good speakers would be my choice all day long. I just don't use my much as I don't wont to cause any trouble with my neighbours'.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 50
For me, it depends. I find it relaxing to sit back with headphones on and listen to music. I find it more energetic and engaging to play music on the speakers. So my mood determines which I prefer at any given time. I do most of TV and movie watching over speakers though unless it is late at night.

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 50
I prefer headphones for privacy reasons. Almost all of my music is of the Parental Advisory type. I don't like being judged for my preference for the real, rugged, and raw! lol

I also don't like being stuck to a specific room in order to really enjoy my music. Therefore I find speakers inconvenient.

....and no I don't want to hear/read about some "solution" with multiple speakers all over the house or something. Not interested.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #20 of 50
  I prefer headphones for privacy reasons. Almost all of my music is of the Parental Advisory type. I don't like being judged for my preference for the real, rugged, and raw! lol

I also don't like being stuck to a specific room in order to really enjoy my music. Therefore I find speakers inconvenient.

....and no I don't want to hear/read about some "solution" with multiple speakers all over the house or something. Not interested.

I'm sorry you don't find a room in your house that you feel at home in. I find that sad myself. I can't imagine that I would have to roam my home and not feel at home in any room.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 50
I was a high-end big speakers kind of guy until my room was repurposed by well-intentioned guests, so around 6 months ago I bought a few decent headphones and a good amp. With the right pair of cans, it exceeded all expectations. Speakers still win out for comfort and tactile bass, but headphones win in overcoming the problems of room acoustics. I'd say 50/50. Its way easier to buy a good can setup and just enjoy.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 50
  I'm sorry you don't find a room in your house that you feel at home in. I find that sad myself. I can't imagine that I would have to roam my home and not feel at home in any room.

I actually have a room set up as a studio, so I actually have a room set up for music that is pretty much just my space. I don't always want to be holed up in that room, and I don't enjoy hearing muffled music when I'm outside of it. I also don't live alone, and I have enough respect and awareness to know that me blasting my music all the time will inconvenience and or disturb others. I also am a bit of a night owl, and blasting music at night is rarely an acceptable behavior in most regular households and neighborhoods.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #24 of 50
Headphones are nice but, they can't replicate the sound of a quality speaker setup.

Mike

There are things speakers do better than headphones, but sound quality isn't one of them.

The only speaker setups that impressed me cost as much as a house. That is not something I will buy in the near future.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #26 of 50
Bin married since 1971. Any time my wife finds me quiet and looking comfortable and happy, she thinks she needs to interrupt me. I have a lovely Cary V12 tube system with Merlin monitors. It really conveys the emotion of music better than headphones. Wife bitches every time I listen to it at decent sound volume. My answer is my headphone system. With my closed Ether Cs, she sometimes forgets about me. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #27 of 50
There are things speakers do better than headphones, but sound quality isn't one of them.

The only speaker setups that impressed me cost as much as a house. That is not something I will buy in the near future.

This is very true. The 10 most expensive/best headphones in the world can out perform any affordable speaker for sheer sound quality.

Headphones such as Fostex TH900/Denon AH-D5000/7000 or Sennheiser HD800/700/650/600 or any of the high end planar's are equivalent to the sound quality of a  multi thousand dollar speaker system.

For other obvious reasons though - speakers and headphones shouldn't really be compared.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #28 of 50
I prefer a 2 channel home stereo setup by a mile.  I use my headphones and IEMs for two reasons-

1.  Late night listening when I don't want to disturb my family 
2.  When I travel.

I do enjoy my headphones and IEMs, but given the choice I would always pick my 2 channel stereo- Every single time.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #30 of 50
Given my current situation - headphones with way more high end SQ compared to my speakers, I do prefer listening with my cans. My speakers are quite decent though; they happen to run through the same setup and I do listen to them for non-critical, relaxed background music type sessions.

If I were in a situation where I could rock out with the speakers at a similar loudness to how I occasionally go with my cans, I would be using my speakers a bit more.

If I had the pinnacle of a headphone setup and the pinnacle of a speaker setup, with the freedom to play music as loud as I wanted to, I would be listening with my speakers a lot more. I was exposed to hifi speaker setups first and do harbour some resentment towards the closed in soundstage of headphones but high end headphone setups are quite a bit more affordable compared to high end hifi setups...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back