How many of you here play an instrument?
Jan 7, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #47 of 76
I play the violin

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxlMusikfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play some Didgeridoo (or Yidaki) just for fun. I'm no hero with the instrument but others say I'm quite good. In the end it's just a lot of fun to play and that's what counts for me.

Nice! So you can breathe circularly?

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #50 of 76
I play violin. I've played for almost 12 years now. Started with classical, switched to jazz, took jazz for 4 years and have just now stopped taking lessons.

now I play primarily on my Yamaha electric violin, mostly in a band at my youthgroup or at home along, jamming with some music.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh. Deliciously lyrical! Do you have a favorite (other) violnist's interpretation/recording of Meditation?

Somehow Bach's Chaconne was my favorite for years. Loved Eugène Ysaÿe's Echo Sonata too -- to hear -- somehow never tried to play it. Found Ysaye's genius spectacular, intense & rather daunting.

Another lover of both Meditation and the Chaconne here (and violin music in general, since i I play it). Almost half of all my CDs are Perlman, although I do technically have a bit of variety. Vengerov, Mutter, Oistrakh, Hahn, Stern, Heifetz, Bell, Markov, and others.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #52 of 76
Been playing clarinet for about 8 years or so now, that's my primary. Along the way, picked up alto sax and bari sax, and recently the King of Instruments, but I'm terrible with that and can only bumble my way through a few hymns.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #53 of 76
Violin, viola, trombone, electric bass, and I'm no good at any of them. I supposedly did some piano and guitar, but they didn't stick. I could technically play some of the other keyed brass instruments but I never managed to memorize the fingerings. Yup, I hate practicing.

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious to know what people here play. How well they play too. Tell us about your instrumental skills and hopes. How did you get into it? Playing since childhood? Taken up recently?

I'm posting this because I have just resolutely decided to buy an instrument after my exams this month and learn to play. Ive always wanted to learn one.
etysmile.gif

Guitar. About 5 years I think.

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #55 of 76
Play with decent skill: Trumpet, Cornet, Flugelhorn
Play at a high high-school level: French Horn
Play tolerably: Baritone, Trombone
Can identify notes and play Fur Elise: Piano

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guitar, bass and violin, but I suck!

Didn't know they were wind instruments!

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh. Deliciously lyrical! Do you have a favorite (other) violnist's interpretation/recording of Meditation?

Somehow Bach's Chaconne was my favorite for years. Loved Eugène Ysaÿe's Echo Sonata too -- to hear -- somehow never tried to play it. Found Ysaye's genius spectacular, intense & rather daunting.

I'm not familiar with that Bach piece. /runs off to find an Internet stream

I haven't heard a single soloist's recording of Meditation that I've liked. I'm kinda weird that way.
tongue.gif
The only recording I like is the completely orchestral one on Renee Fleming's recording of the entire Thais opera - now that is an excellent performance right there. I think it was the first performance that actually moved me.
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with that Bach piece. /runs off to find an Internet stream

I haven't heard a single soloist's recording of Meditation that I've liked. I'm kinda weird that way.
tongue.gif
The only recording I like is the completely orchestral one on Renee Fleming's recording of the entire Thais opera - now that is an excellent performance right there. I think it was the first performance that actually moved me.
wink.gif

I'll look for that one.

The Chaconne is part of Bach's Partitas and Sonatas for VIolin Alone. A remarkable and often spiritually beautiful "work" containing many outstanding pieces. There have been related discussions in the Music Forum, and there are many great recordings. I have quite a handful on vinyl, and a few on CDs, and am always sniffing the air for word of great performances.

Jan 8, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #59 of 76
My main instrument is guitar. I've been playing for many years, but haven't done much performing. I had classical lessons as a kid, then just messed about on electrics. I just bought an acoustic to try and encourage me to play more.

I play a little bit of piano. I did an evening class that got me into it, but I need to practice more on my trusty Casio.

A year or so ago I joined an African drumming group and got myself a djembe. It's a fun thing to do and may help my sense of rhythm.

I've also got a blues harmonica, but can't play it that well.

One of these days I'd like to do some sort of performance, but would also like to do some recording so that I can at least leave something for future generations to shake their heads at (in dismay rather than wonder I expect).

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! So you can breathe circularly?

Yes - pretty amazing when I did it the first time. I was so proud and everyone around me had to see and hear it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back