How many of you have ONE pair of headphones??
Jan 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #47 of 82
I don't have just one pair but I really only listen to one pair. AH-D7000s.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #49 of 82
I just really enjoy listening to music on different (good) headphones; the same album
will provide a very different experience on different phones.

An example - today I listened to Cerrone 3 Supernature (brilliantly produced & engineered
in the late 70's with the analog gear of the day) on 3 different headphones.

Different aspects of the recording were brought out with each:

The immense spaciousness of the recording on the K702.
The insistent, prominent bass drum on the Sony Z1000.
The cohesiveness of the sound on the Beyer DT880.

For me, listening to a favorite album on different headphones brings it much closer.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #51 of 82
I only need one good headphone. Before I was using Grado SR60, but when AKG K701 is in the house, I rarely use my SR60, to the the point that it became useless. One flagship headphone will blow away many headphones and upgrading itch. In the near time, I will buy another headphone that will throw away my K701 and some more headphones.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #52 of 82
I can't really afford the amount of audio equipment/headphones I have, but I keep spending money that I shouldn't spend. Lol. I like being able to switch things up a bit. I have a couple of sources as well as a few headphones. Considering a third source.

To stay on topic, here's my logic for more than 1 pair of headphones:

Audio Technica ATH-AD900: My primary/favorite headphones. I use these all the time at home and they're by far my favorite, except for when I'm just in the mood for a different sound signature. I don't want to use an open headphone in most public situations and I don't want to replace my favorite headphone for the small amount of time I'm using my headphones for travel or something like that.

Ultrasone HFI-780: Closed headphone that works great for bringing quality sound around with me. It just happens that I also really love the sound of these at times. They still get regular use at home, though they're justified by their usefulness for public use.

Terminator V4: A bit of a treat for myself. Had to decide between a stock, well recognized/quality headphone or a beautifully modded headphone that is also very capable in terms of sound quality. I've always been a fan of the headphile products and I knew what I wanted, so I went with it. It's currently on order. I can justify this because I expect it will become my #1, though I'm pretty sure I'll use my ATH-AD900 for longer listening... They're just so comfortable!

I also have Grado SR225i. I can't really justify that. It was my first "higher level" headphone purchase, shortly before my HFI-780. I didn't like the Grados at first, but started to like them a bit more when I used them longer. I'm not sure why, but that only lasted shortly. I liked the HFI-780 a lot more and used them more often. Once I bought the AD900, they were officially replaced. I rarely use them and I've kind of concluded that they just aren't the headphones for me. I'll most likely end up selling them, but I feel like waiting till I receive the Terminator V4, for some reason. The AD900, realistically, were the best investment and would likely be the one I would narrow my collection down to. That choice would be driven by sound quality, appearance, amount of use and costs. I expect that the Terminator will rival or beat the AD900 as my favorite, but I'm not sure if I could justify them over the AD900 in terms of value per dollar. We'll see.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #53 of 82
I don't think I can ever just own one pair of headphones at least for my home rig. I just have one set of customs for portable use and a backup in case I ever forget to bring my customs (which has happened) or if it ever gets damaged. For my home rig I have a modified T50RP, HE500, v4 and v2.5 Magnum. They all offer different signatures and are all good in their own right and would have no idea if I had to choose one but thankfully that is not the case.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #54 of 82
I'm running one headphone and one amp, but that changes soon.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #56 of 82
I have one full-size, good-quality pair of headphones right now (although I'm getting DR 150s in this week).  I haven't found all-rounders as good as my KRK KNS-8400s.  I'll probably end up selling the DR 150s, unless they blow me away (and judging by the previous two times I've owned them, they probably won't).

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #57 of 82

Quote:
I think I have a hoarding problem when it comes to electronics.

Once it's mine, I don't want to give it up, even if a newer product makes it obsolete.

Ditto.  For some unknown reason, I like some variety in my gadgets.  I use two pair of headphones, a pair of earbuds and some IEMs.  This is partly because I wear glasses though, and find headphones uncomfortable with glasses on, so I use PK3 earbuds or RE0 IEMs.  Headphones I use late at night when I don't need to see.  I also have 4 different headphone amps, 3 portable and 1 desktop.

This is partly a general hoarding problem though, as evidenced by having 6 computers and a tablet, all of which get used for different things.  3 of the computers are hooked to displays in different rooms, so I don't have to unhook and move them.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #58 of 82
Hmm, I don't fall under this category, but I generally only use one pair of headphones for music with two others in special cases. HD650 for music and general purpose. HD595 for unamped and occasional gaming. KSC-75 for portable purposes. Don't feel like anything else is needed to satisfy me.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #60 of 82
seems that me having 9 pairs is a bit abnormal 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back