how many of you have and use crosfeed in their amps?
Feb 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just whether or not you like crossfeed. I have a Corda Cross-I that I frequently use with digital recordings. For whatever reason, I usually prefer vinyl without crossfeed....

The reason (with vinyl) might be that channel separation with a good cartridge is generally ~30dB, so there is already a small amount of audible cross-talk, even if it's not cross-feed, per se (as we generally discuss it here). (That said, I still prefer the sound of good vinyl to good CD, in general, though I personally use CDs and computer audio due to my daily lifestyle.)

Of all the crossfeeds I've tried so far, I prefer HeadRoom's. It tended to add a little body, which could be nice with some headphones, and its imaging was the best of all the crossfeeds I've tried. I still have an old HeadRoom Max (of course, with HeadRoom crossfeed). I still use it occasionally.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #18 of 25
I've been through quite a few of Jan Meiers' amps, starting with the famous Prehead. The Prehead had four different crossfeed settings but, unfortunately, although quite effective on certain cans and recordings, there was an obvious (although subjective according to Jan) reduction in bass perception. The newer models, including Symphony, are probably boosting a bit (that's what I think, what I hear, but it might be, again, just a psiho-acoustic phenomenon) the bass frequency to compensate for the aforementioned problem.
Well, having the chance to compare Mr Meier's implemetation with one of the older Airheads (which was, in my opinion, pure rubbish) I've lived very happy with it until recently, when I had the chance to listen to (and buy) the new 2007 Portable Desktop from Headroom. SQ-wise, Symphony is, at a similar price, the better beast in almost every respect. Almost except for the...guess what, the crossfeed! Yes, it is far from pure musical truth, and yes, it is no hi-fi territory, warming the sound, messing up with the bass frequencies and yet, being a purist and knowing all this, being ever since I can remember extremely reluctant at using any filter at all, well, against all odds and all my beliefs, I have to say this thing works wonders. Again, I am not talking about SQ here (which, in my opinion, suffers a bit from using the crossfeed, any crossfeed from whatever manufacturer for that matter), but it literally repositions the whole music, be it a rock band, a single voice or a whole symphonic orchestra, in a wider, far mor credible, almost realistical space, while the "in your head" effect dissapears completely.
I am not going to say this is the best crossfeed to date, I am not going to speculate about evolutions and future, I am not talking about hifi here (I still prefer the no-filter policy for the ultimate musical experience), I can only tell you this: a true crossfeed is finally here and, yes, it works. While the Corda crossfeed has a subtle but interesting effect on soundstage without degrading much of the performance, it is far less effective than Headroom's implementation. Having said all this, I confess I still don't use it. But I am really impressed!

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 25
Is cross-feeding from the source stage any different from the amp stage?

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 25
If you mean the Foobar or Rockbox implementation, forget about it. Their only effect is to make anything sound hollow, further, strange - that is worse in every respect without any added benefit.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by revenge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean the Foobar or Rockbox implementation, forget about it. Their only effect is to make anything sound hollow, further, strange - that is worse in every respect without any added benefit.

As for foobar, give this a shot (if you haven't already): Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP

I'm hoping I'll have an amp at some point that has a crossfeed option. It's nice to have sometimes, I think.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up turning [the crossfeei] on in games ..

Crossfeed is not for gaming at all. You may miss out on directional cues that the game makers have put there. For example, when I'm playing Urban Terror, I use headphones to pinpoint enemy footsteps. It's almost like a wallhack. For me, headphones beat out the 5.1 speakers for this.

Straight-up stereo is a way better way to go for games.

[size=xx-small](BTW, I know this is o/t, but Urban Terror is a free FPS, something like Counter-Strike.)[/size]

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keppel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crossfeed is not for gaming at all. You may miss out on directional cues that the game makers have put there. For example, when I'm playing Urban Terror, I use headphones to pinpoint enemy footsteps. It's almost like a wallhack. For me, headphones beat out the 5.1 speakers for this.

Straight-up stereo is a way better way to go for games.

[size=xx-small](BTW, I know this is o/t, but Urban Terror is a free FPS, something like Counter-Strike.)[/size]

My experience w/ FPS games is different. I find the Meier crossfeed in my Corda Opera (and my old Corda "Blue" HA-1) provides much more natural, realistic, effortless, and accurate 3D-positioning in FPS games than using just plain stereo with my DT990's (250ohm/2005 version), especially when the sound source changes position. Directional cues are enhanced for me when I use the crossfeed, not degraded. For FPS gaming, I find crossfeed to be essential.

For music, I only use it for older classic rock recordings (Beatles, Doors, etc) where the steroe separation is extreme and some sound sources are played entirely in one channel. Most modern music doesn't require it, though, so I leave it off then.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for foobar, give this a shot (if you haven't already): Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP

I'm hoping I'll have an amp at some point that has a crossfeed option. It's nice to have sometimes, I think.

what version of foobar is that for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back