How many of you have admitted to being a member of Team PriceyCrappyPhones?
Apr 21, 2003 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Fellow Head-Fiers,

There was a time when you had loved a particular pair of headphones that are now considered "crap" by the consensus here at Head-Fi. I know, I have. I had loved various Sony MDR-V### series, and Sony Street Styles. But listening to them now, I realise that most of what I had loved are craptastic!
redface.gif

Have any of you gotten such a craptacular experience with loving crappyphones?
evil_smiley.gif

Feel free to chime in with your experiences.

Randy

Apr 21, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 24
Nope.. Never.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually.. this is partially true.. I started out with a mediocre PCDP with SR-60's and Koss "The Plug"... While "The Plug" may not be the greatest earphone (certainly not up to the standards that my Ety's have set), it's not the worst I heard, either...
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 24
I used to love my Sony MDR-V300s. They covered my ears and provided isolation, especially on trains and planes. They also kept my ears warm in the cold. And that's not to mention the fantastic bass!

Apr 21, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 24
Yep, i have had some crappy cans. various sony walkman ones, some crap earplugs, and some koss folding ones that were actually pretty good.

Right now, i have am using some radioshack ones, Optimus NOVA 403s, and i still really like them! check out this thread:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=31746

I am currently listening to sennheiser HD280s, and my optimus ones piss all over the senns. and yes, they have been burned in.

Apr 21, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 24
surely everyone is a member by default, what with those shocking stock headphones portable audio manufacturers give away with items.

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal
surely everyone is a member by default, what with those shocking stock headphones portable audio manufacturers give away with items.

It's true we all have plenty of crappy stock headphones, but in my case I went out and spent $50 for my v300s and listened to them constantly for about 3 years. As a matter of fact, I still kind of like the way they sound. I would say that would make me a firm member of Team Craptastic!

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 24
Heh. I currently am a member of that team!

*stands tall with his V700 on his head*

I don't really mind right now anyway, they are perfect for what I need right now. I'm sure
I'm going to throw them in the garbage when I'll buy myself a new pair of better 'phones
(actually thinking about W1000 or W2002.. not sure yet). But for now, I'm plenty happy
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 24
From this point on, stock Walkman headphones may no longer be discussed in this thread, except for comparison purposes. The topic of this thread, from this point on, will now discuss overpriced, underperformance headphones.

*coughMDR-VCRAPDJcough*
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 24
Well, a couple of good examples of such overpriced, underperformance headphones come from (*jaw goes dropping*
eek.gif
) Sennheiser (*cough* HD490 and HD500 *cough*). I've heard both of them, and though I would have loved those 'phones back in my Duh!-m-Bass days of 1999 (before I've even heard of HeadWize, let alone Head-Fi), I now realised that they were both craptacular.

Apr 21, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 24
actually i'm probably a member i guess, i have these audio technica eggo clones (ath-f55), and although they aren't as good as the d66s, they are nice enough for portable use. although they have been slated on here from what i can recall.

however i feel that the d66s cross the portable/home divide quite nicely.

Apr 21, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 24
I know a bit about headphone hell...
biggrin.gif

I owned some cheapo $10 labtec headphones a few years ago. I also used a set of Jensen JF20 headphones and thought they were great.

LOL
Those jensens are absolute horrible phones! All you get is lower midrange and boomy upper/mid bass! I can't believe I used to think they were so good
eek.gif

I even wrote an epinions review about them!

Ah well I now own senn. hd580's so all is good
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back