How many of you guys actually wear proper protection while soldering?
May 31, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeliao
I solder with heavy welder's gloves because I'm afraid I'll burn my tender little fingers. Hmm, having the hardest time picking up small parts though.
tongue.gif

heh, not a bad idea! Two weeks ago, while working on my amp, I was so focused on soldering a small joint I was staring at the board and tried to pick the soldering iron up with my right hand (I am left handed) and grabbed the wrong end
eek.gif

I had it in my hand for a couple seconds before I realized what had happend. Two weeks later, there is STILL a huge smooth, red patch on my index finger where I grabbed it.

May 31, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #32 of 36
You're doing something wrong if you don't burn yourself:p

i've been in that situation many times. The smooth patches disappear usually although I think I still have scars.

May 31, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #33 of 36
sweet. chicks dig scars
biggrin.gif

"Hey, baby, check out THIS soldering scar! I got it a couple years back when I was making this WICKED SWEET preamp for my system!"

(sound of footsteps walking walking away)
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #34 of 36
The scars go away too over time. You'll just have to burn new marks to impress the women. Make little neat patterns...hell just brand yourself.

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #35 of 36
What about the solder FUMES? I'm more worried about that than flying pieces.

I used to solder all night long in a small closed area (aka crappy dorm room) without any circulation and minimal ventilation (window open sometimes). So basically all the fumes went directly up, into my face.

I am seriously considering getting some sort of a fume sucker soon for my upcoming DIY projects, although I think I'm addicted to all the lead and nickel...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back