How many of you actually work in the music biz?
Apr 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ok computer

100+ Head-Fier
Yeah, like the title says how many of you guys work in the music industry? Including sound designers and such.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 18
I am a semi-professional musician (i.e. I get paid to play gigs, but not enough to make a living at it) and work for a distributor of consumer electronics and music accessories, so I guess I would be considered quasi in the business, depending on your definition...

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 18
Does playing in a performing band count? How about teaching music to students? I do both of these.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does playing in a performing band count? How about teaching music to students? I do both of these.

yeah. Thats fine.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 18
Another semi-pro musician. Also have done some live sound engineering/recording for public radio, promoted music events and mastered and released a CD.

But advertising work pays the bills
wink.gif

Our design/illustration has been used on the cover of a few CDs, including a Grammy winner, come to think of it
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm going to say I'm quasi-pro. I get paid occasionally as a "hired-gun" when an orchestra needs a horn player for an evening, but I'm hardly what you'd call a full professional.

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one?

BeauSoleil's "L'Amour ou la Folie", which won in the Folk category back in 1998 IRC.

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 18
Well I'm sure someones heard of that...

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 18
"The best damn dance band you'll ever heard" according to Rolling Stone magazine...seven or eight Grammy nominations and one win...been around for about 25 years...generally considered the world's finest, and most progressive Cajun band with musical influences from Acadie to Hawaii...heck, even mentioned in a previous thread or three here on Head-Fi...

Somebody's got to have heard of 'em
wink.gif

Kiddin' aside, fiddler Michael Doucet's BeauSoleil is a powerful, innovative band that's worth hearing live or on record. Check 'em out sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does piracy count?

^LoLz^

It seems we're in the same boat. You know I just got finished putting BeauSoleil's "L'Amour ou la Folie" on Limewire and some torrent sites. Not to mention the 100 copies I burned and am going to go sell. [size=xx-small]JK[/size]:
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 18
LOL...Stop it guys, you're breaking our hearts. The record business is so lucrative that I've already paid Michael more in royalties for appearing on my independently released CD than he received from Rounder on another project. And that was merely enough for a couple of really modest dinners out with his wife
tongue.gif

Yep, the music business...another get rich quick scheme for musicians
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back