How many KBS is reccomened when listening to music?
Mar 24, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #16 of 24
to me 'Alt Preset Standard' is the minimum
while 'Alt Preset Extreme' is preferred
but then again I also feel that under 192 is not worth listening to

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 24
I use lossless for my PC when I can get it, and MP3 VBR for my portable. They sound pretty much the same, the lossless just has a tad bit more detail. Those extra 700 kb/s would do something to that effect
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
to me 'Alt Preset Standard' is the minimum
while 'Alt Preset Extreme' is preferred
but then again I also feel that under 192 is not worth listening to

You do realize that many, many frames in your --alt-preset standard encodings use less than 192kbps, right?

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #21 of 24
wma lossless. Usually somewhere betweem 2,500 and 3,200 kbps.
I also find 320 kbps to be close, but doesn't always ring the bell.
Bad news...got over a 1000 tracks of the lossless, starting to eat away at the hard drive.......

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #22 of 24
I use lossless for home use, and it does sound different/better than lower encoded tracks. However, 192kbps is fine for portable use, where a lot of the information will be lost anyways due to outside noise (unless you're using IEM's etc).

Mar 26, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #24 of 24
My .02:

Original CD at home, lossless on DAP on the move or the original CD with a PCDP. I find lossy to be unacceptable with high-end gear, though this will depend on the gear and the music. Forgiving systems can probably get away with high-quality lossy, and for pop music that's dynamically compressed in the first place, lossy is just fine since the master sucks to begin with. On music where it matters, 224 and above is tolerable, 192 and below just plain hurts my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back