How many hunters on Head-Fi
Sep 21, 2008 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
I've seen a few threads started by firearms enthusiasts on head-fi but was just wondering if there are any hunters or fishermen out there?

Give us a shout out and let us know.

I'd personally be interested in what you hunt or fish, when and where.

Cheers.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 6
I've been a pat (aka ruffed grouse) and timberdoodle (aka woodcock) hunter since 1979. I prefer to hunt with a good pointing dog and currently have a gordon setter I'm quite fond of. Nothing quite like watching the dog quarter through the woods and slam to heart stopping point. Maybe there will be a shot. Maybe not. I may miss or I may hit. Either way its a privilege to hunt these birds and to be out witted by them. Full game bag, or empty one, it's a good day.

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Ah! At least one of Diana's acolytes!

Hunting dogs in all their variety and skills are awesome. My old grandad used to train Border Collies as sheep dogs for a living. I often hunt with my old Husky bitch. Great bear protection, sees wolves waay before I do, rides a snowmobile like a Pro, never gets in the way on the boat, always finds her way home from miles out on the tundra and makes a great hot water bottle when camping at fifty below.
wink.gif

But all in all seriousness how does ruffed grouse and woodcock taste like in your area and how'd you prefer to prepare them?

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 6
Just how far north are you anyway??? A wolf is the only animal that has made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and make my heart to pitter patter. Never felt that way about a bear, not even at close range. Of course, I've only encountered black bears, not griz nor polar bears. Something very primeval about seeing a wolf in the wild. I felt very alive during that encounter.

I like my birds skinned. One thing I can tell you for sure is they do not taste like chicken. Much much better and better for you.

For woodcock I may or may not marinate in buttermilk, typically smear the breast cavity with butter, wrap in a strip of bacon, season to taste place on a piece of toast and broil for 5 minutes. I like this simple recipe. Some of the finest eating this side of a ruffed grouse.

Ruffed grouse are not the "dumb" birds I've read about in the far north. These are seasoned hunting veterans that are both wiley and escape artists. Prepared much like I would chicken or pheasant. Never put in a casserole. May make a whole bird or just breast them out, depending. Roasted, broiled or grilled...delectable.

Of course any game bird deserves an excellent wine. Perhaps a St Emilion...

Sooo, big game? bird? varmit? any? all? what is it that you have a hunting passion for???

Sep 23, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm planning to hunt Canada goose and white-tailed deer this fall. It will be my first time, and I'm looking forward to having all that good stuff to eat!

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 6
I’ve never hunted but I once bought 2 live pigeons from a Chinese market in Philadelphia. I had them slaughter it and I cooked it on a grill. It was actually good.

It made me understand why it was considered a delicacy among royalty back in historical times. In my opinion, eating pigeon is good. I wouldn’t be surprised if bats tasted similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back