How many headphones do you have?
Feb 16, 2005 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 119

500+ Head-Fier
My friends think I'm crazy for having so many pairs of headphones. I'm inclined to agree, but I rationalize it by saying that they all serve different purposes.

I have 5 pairs, soon to be 6. I still use all of them regularly except for the MX400, which I only pull out when I don't feel like using the Shures.

Not counting the cheap stuff that's bundled with most players, how many pairs of headphones do you own right now?

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 119
countless number of BS headphones.
1 (at the moment)
smily_headphones1.gif
- shure e2c

The only number of headphones i think i'll ever need at a time is 2: one for portable and another for home use.

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 119
Uhm.. So where's the 50+ option?
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 119
I have about half a dozen (not to mention all those free earbuds you get with MP3 Players), but I only use about 3 (ER-4P, PX200, and a pair of Studio phones).

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 119
I have only 3:

Bang & Olufsen A8
Nakamichi SP-7
Sony Streetstyle MDR-G74SL

I don't count the various crap I've collected when buying MP3 players, CD players, etc.

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 119
Only counting the cans i use - not my wife's, not the closet cases -

1)Open home cans. SR200.

2)Closed home cans. DT770. SR200 sound better but DT770 are situational cans (isolation, soundstage for gaming and movies)

3)Portable cans. KSC-35. Very dangerous to be lured into getting more cheap portables, but one is all you really need - save the pennies to get the big buck cans, I say.

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 119
5 at this point, all with radically different sound signatures. I like a little variety...

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 119
For those who have unused headphones just sitting around: Why not sell them?

I just picked up the SR60 to try out the famed Grado sound after all the Grado love going on lately, but otherwise, I think I'm pretty set with headphones for a while. (Been on a bit of a buying spree the past few months, which needs to stop.)

The next upgrade I can possibly see is getting the HD595 as an open can for the home, but that's just a thought at the moment. I'm more interested in upgrading my sources right now than getting more headphones.

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 119
Zero is not an option? I sold all my headphones
very_evil_smiley.gif

[size=xx-small]I'll buy more soon enough[/size]

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 119
Mo' Headphones, Mo' problems!
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 119
AKG K1000 – when I’m in the mood for detail and resolution, I gotta hear every last nuance and only these crazy-@ss cans suffice; no headphones I’ve ever heard presents the soundstage as naturally as these Austrians do (not even the R10, Qualia, Omega II or HE90)
Alessandro MS1 – when I’m walking the dog or enjoying a stroll in the park these ‘phones have energy and character; I don’t need them to be portable because I use them for brief trips around the neighborhood where they stay on my head the whole time (and they sound great sans amp, though the SuperMacro gives ‘em a boost)
Beyerdynamic DT770/80 – my work cans; they sound good right from the soundcard and even better with the SuperMacro; they’re fun ‘phones that attenuate just enough of the office din and not so much where I can’t hear my phone ring (and they’re super comfy for those 12-hour workdays – nothing beats the Beyer silver velour)
Koss KSC75 – these are the perfect “throw-on” ‘phones; they sound great (approaching SR60 levels of quality), are super-portable and easy to drive (and they even benefit quite a bit from amplification); these now reside in my Burton beanie, which is perfect for those brisk morning constitutionals and weekends at Northstar
Sennheiser HD25 – these are my favorite portable sealed headphones; they isolate very well, are reasonably comfy (with the velour pads, of course) and are low-profile and easy to transport (and they are in the top 5 of great-sounding sealed headphones)
Sennheiser HD650 – my favorite cans other than the Big O (HE90); these headphones sound so natural and simply fit my sonic preferences. These are my number one cans – they sound great with everything I’ve thrown at ‘em (and I have a very eclectic taste)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back