How many Headfiers use surge protectors?
Oct 2, 2007 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Audio Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
When you read through many of the high-tech articles about power it keeps coming up that it is best to plug your system directly into the wall socket for the cleanest possible power. Then there are those that say NEVER use MOVs because they make change the quality of the sound. So falling short of going out at getting a $500 or more power supply/filter/surge protector what is a audiophile supposed to do?

So here is the question, how many people round here just use a standard surge protector or power strip; how many use something similar to a PS audio power supply (something that costs some serious coin); and how many just plug their $$$$ worth of gear straight into the wall and really don't worry about the surge issue?

blink.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 51
I currently use an APC BackUPS. Surge protection / battery back-up.

I will eventually get a Rotel RLC-1040.. It's a rebranded APC line conditioner with less APC-standard ugliness.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 51
I use standard surge protectors, but have recently been thinking about upgrading. I need to clean up my setup.

Looks like the 250 version of the Tripp-lite can be had for $92.99 shipped.

The 500 for $138.78 shipped.

My poor wallet.

Can anyone recommend a treatment to help bring my poor wallet back to full health?
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 51
either surge protectors or UPS/surge combo

and no I do not hear a difference between one or the other or the wall socket

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 51
I use a furman PL+, left over from my guitar playing days. My house has a cranky/buzzy rheostat dimmer downstairs. It physically makes noises as well as pollutes my house AC, when its dimmed. IMHO the PL+ is nothing more than a glorified surge protector, but physically its nice looking and convenient. Its a solid piece of gear, but sonically it does nothing.

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 51
Work desk - cheap surge strip
Home desk - straight into the wall (call me crazy!)

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 51
Home computers: UPCs.
Home hi-fi: PSAudio P500 AC regenerater
Head-fi luggable/portable: batteries
Other: I try to use decent powerstrips and not plug stuff directly into the wall.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 51
Straight into the wall. If there are too many devices to fit, I'll plug into a Wiremold power strip, which is basically a copper bus bar without any kind of switches or filters--the closest thing to plugging into the wall.

If I had a relatively small budget to buy something for surge protection, I'd go with something simple, probably with series mode protection instead of MOVs. For example, Brick Wall / Zero Surge, or one of Furman's new PL or PM series.

All of the new Furman PL and PM series II (which are classic for studios and rack-friendly musicians) have series mode protection instead of the MOVs employed in the first generation conditioners. I own a first-gen Furman PL-Plus and can say that in my case, it negatively affected the sound versus the wall, but bear in mind that I live in a house and my wall power is already relatively clean.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 51
I wouldn't dream of plugging my gear directly into a wall outlet. I don't use a dedicated surge protector, but my Tice Audio power conditioner has built in surge protection.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 51
I have a slightly-quirky Belkin unit with 8 outlets, and an old DAK unit with 6. Quiet-Lines, too.

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back