How many Head-fiers can claim Perfect Pitch?
Jan 9, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #78 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, how do you go about improving relative pitch?

There is a lot of software out there that helps you with ear training. The best right now I believe is EarMaster Pro 5. It's free for like 3 weeks and it will get your ears in shape regardless of how much music training you've had. If you want to go free and simple, check out TrainEar.com

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #82 of 87
Maybe there's a high ratio cause we're audiophiles? Who knows? I don't really completely understand the perfect pitch phenomenon. I bet with the proper training the "perfect pitch" population would be much higher. How many people even bother trying to learn it? I agree with the one poster who said there HAS to be some musical training for someone to display the usual sign of perfect pitch-- being able to NAME a musical note. Even from a perfect pitch website, I see this disclaimer: "as few as one in 10,000 persons in the general population, almost always among people who have had musical training before the age of six." I mean, how can you name a note without having a name for it? That's impossible. The reverse would be like asking a blind person to describe the color "yellow" from it's name alone. There has to be a reference linking the sound and the name somehow and there's no savant in the world that's going to hear Fb and say "That's Fb" without having been taught the chromatic scale. I'm sure if they were trained musically, the number of persons with a "perfect pitch" designation would rise dramatically.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #83 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh. Some people got started in DIY with projects other than hi-fi.

Not that I would know anything about that.
biggrin.gif

My eyesight corrects to 20/15 and I can't whistle 2600Hz, but I do have very good relative pitch.

I started playing clarinet when I was nine, then progressed through the rest of the clarinet family (bass is my favorite), tenor sax, bassoon, trombone, and tuba. I can tune up just fine and tell when I go sharp or flat. But I have to hear a tuning note or have been listening for awhile.

A friend from college has spooky perfect pitch. You can hit the wall and she'll tell you what note it is. She's a very talented musician, too.

T E X T F I L E S
I wish I was around for all that. Being young(ish) sucks -.-

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #85 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe there's a high ratio cause we're audiophiles?

That's not very likely. Ten people posted they have perfect pitch in a poll that has only 1,300 views, which statistically doesn't make this result credible. It would suggest that perfect pitch is a phenomenon that is 10 times more prevalent on Head-Fi than it is in the general population when it is not even that much more prevalent for musicians. If it were 10 people out of the entire forum membership of roughly 85,000 then that would be a much more believable result.

--Jerome

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #86 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not very likely. Ten people posted they have perfect pitch in a poll that has only 1,300 views, which statistically doesn't make this result credible. It would suggest that perfect pitch is a phenomenon that is 10 times more prevalent on Head-Fi than it is in the general population when it is not even that much more prevalent for musicians. If it were 10 people out of the entire forum membership of roughly 85,000 then that would be a much more believable result.

--Jerome

What ratio would you expect? Also you would expect a higher ratio here than in the general population, as there would be a higher percentage of musicians on this forum than the general population.

In my experience keyboard players rarely have perfect pitch as they don't have to tune their instruments. It seems to be more common amongst violinists for some reason, perhaps because we have to tune the 4 strings every day and over many years that somehow gets drilled into your brain. I have perfect pitch and on balance it is a plus, but not always - when I played baroque violin it drove me crazy as it is tuned a semi-tone (roughly) lower. Took my brain a long time to re-adjust.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #87 of 87
jsaliga, maybe some of them are incorrect in their belief that they have perfect pitch. However, I am not surprised that the number is quite high for the amount of views. Perhaps people with perfect pitch are more drawn to audiophile equipment, for whatever reason, than the average person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back