How many have used their PDA as a source?
Dec 2, 2006 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hermitt

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a dell axim x51v which has both CF and SD card slots, when in a pinch and you dont want to pack around a bunch of gear, i just drop it in the dock and let WMP11 'shuffle' sync to one of my memory cards. With the prices of cards dropping, 4gb cards are great
biggrin.gif
I also use PocketMusic as my WM5 audio player in the pda.
etysmile.gif

http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketmusic.htm

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 12
Before I joined Head-Fi, I used my Pocket PC regularly to listen to music while I read ebooks. While I usually have my Axim x51v when I'm out and about, I usually have my portable gear with me as well.

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 12
I use my PDA as a source when I travel. Thats really about the only time. I guess it works fairly well for that. The battery life could be better. I'm likely going to be buying a Zune soon to replace this particular function.

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 12
I've used my Palm Zire 71 with Aeroplayer a lot for playing music on the move. I now also have an Acer n35 with GSPlayer that has the advantage of going a lot louder. The Palm is know for it's weak output. I think that both can only handle 1GB SD cards, but that's enough for most of the trips I do. My travel headphones are MX500 and PX200.

I got the Acer for it's GPS, so I can participate in OpenStreetMap

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Palm Tungsten T reunited me with music, and my MDR-E484. It brought me to the door step of Head-Fi. Over US$4.5K later, I feel my journey has now come to a satisfatory end.

I can now spent my time devoted to music listening/CD purchasing rather than headphone/amp/source/cable searching!
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 12
I use my Axim x51v occasionally, but it really is a bad sounding source. With my ER6i it is unlistenable without an amp, and even with the amp it is just passable. I had a Casio E-200 Pocket PC that sounded fabulous, but it died on me a few months ago. My Zire 71 is pretty bad sounding also. I'm seriously considering getting a DAP to use in the car and for travel.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 12
There was frequency cut off with Palm at one time, the audible audio range for the tungsten range was between 16Khz ~ 160Hz (I think.) I couldn't believe how much music was lost with the Palm when I started listening to the iHP-140. And then again realising what limitation the Philips UDA1380TT DAC inside the iRiver had when I moved on to the 840C.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 12
I used an MPx200 smartphone for a bit as a source. It required an amp but actually sounded pretty good through an amp. Never used an actual PDA for a source since my only PDA right now is an old Sony CLIE SJ30 which is limited to beeps for sounds, although it still works great as a PDA and ebook reader.

I just have found using a regular DAP works better overall since I get better battery life and more utility out of having a few devices that work really well for what they do, rather than one that is mediocre or just passable at a variety of tasks.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I enjoy the idea of one device that does it all, lately I have resorted to many devices that do it all BETTER.

Yeah, I also prefer that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back