How many genres is enough to organize your digital library?
Jun 22, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
Foobar tells me the following -

Math Rock
Melodic Death Metal
Noise

So.. 45?

LOL, subtract these three, I don't think they should count. 42 ain't bad though.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #32 of 35
My rock folder was getting awfully large so I had to split it. Now I have:

Alt. Rock - Alt. Metal
Rock - Metal
Electronica - Ambient
Pop
R'n'B - Hip Hop
Soul - Jazz - Funk
Classical

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
LOL, subtract these three, I don't think they should count. 42 ain't bad though.

I fail to see what's invalid about math rock and noise, certainly. 16 of my albums are tagged Math Rock, and I think another 5 or 10 could be, but aren't (tagged instrumental rock). Noise is a huge genre. I don't know anything about Melodic Death Metal, although I'm aware metal has a staggering number of sub-genres.

I don't have a problem with putting things in genres. I don't listen by genre, I listen by album; but a 'genre' doesn't necessarily restrict an artist to a certain musical style; if I have the genre and the year, it tells me a little bit about what era and style the music I'm listening to came from. Pretty useful information if you ask me.

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #34 of 35
I use the Genre tag, but not to organize on my drives, they are simply alphabetical by Artist\Album\ , and I let my media software sort by Genre when I find it helpful.

For Genres I use general heading from AMG:
Avant-Garde, Bluegrass, Blues, Classical, Country, Electronic, Folk, Jazz, New Age, R&B, Reggae, Rock, Soundtrack, Vocal, World.

For further specification within those Genres I use 'Styles' (again from AMG) in another tag field. This can be VERY handy for making playlists and chosing music to match my mood. It may not be too useful with a small library, but as it grows that changes.

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #35 of 35
Personally:

Pop/rock
The rest
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back