how many extraciriculars will i need to get into uni?
Sep 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #16 of 25
For us it was our GE classes that really mattered, and aside from that your GPA, and obviously a diploma. Also SAT scores (not sure if you do that). A decent entrance essay, and some letters of recommendation.

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #17 of 25
hah anyway, the University of Toronto people are swinging by my school tomorrow so ill get a chance to ask them how much they weigh ECs and hopefully they don't ******** me
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 25
ask them how much cheese they eat in a year...for some reason school representatives always look at you funny when you ask them that question and then turn to someone else and start talking to them...dont know why though.

its a perfectly valid question!

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 25
I have an uncle in Canadia, love the country. Not the jaywalking.
Could talk to him about his friends' children's experiences if it would help.

Just M SG:1 me.

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They got rid of it for 2009 i thought? from what i have read they have. and yes luck has a big part to play as well.

Nope, i am pretty sure they haven't, a few of my friends who are applying there seem to beleive they haven't along with the teachers.

BTW sorry for the thread jack.

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got about a 93% average right now, with 70 community service hours, but almost no extra ciriculars, and i want to get into buisness/economics/commerce in U of T, york or queens

so how many will i need to get so i can get in?

Business schools want well-rounded people?

I just wouldn't have guessed that.

I once taught English to Business students in Thailand...they kept wanting to put things in their resumes like:

Hobbies: Sleeping, Eating Pineapple
Health: Not good; I have the B Virus

Just...cultural differences at play.

But you are who you are at this point and taking up hobbies just to improve your chances at getting into school? You'd be better off making some stuff up that could not be verified. I think that is standard practice in the business world now...or at least get creative with what you have done.

Sorry, seriously, you're totally well qualified. But the way to get ahead is good social networking. This wins out over intelligence, character, schooling, and even rakish good looks.

And please remember that college is not just about getting a job.

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killswitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an uncle in Canadia, love the country. Not the jaywalking.
Could talk to him about his friends' children's experiences if it would help.

Just M SG:1 me.

sure, may as well post them in thier thread [providing they aren't too personal or explicit] so everyone can get some help
biggrin.gif

oh yeah and I asked the presenter how much weight they put on extra curricular and he just laughed at me and said its nearly all about academics

I breathed a sigh of relief and the world was right again
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #24 of 25
I got into uft last year with an 85 average (soft eng). It's all about the grades, and yours are more than good enough to get in, I wouldnt worry about the extra curriculars if I were you. However, joining some for the heck of it is definitely worth it.. my regret in highschool was that not that I should have studied harder, but I should have been involved more.

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And please remember that college is not just about getting a job.

You're absolutely right. It's about the beer, the girls, and the lulz!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back