how many channels are enough?
Sep 22, 2003 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Where better to ask this than a headphone forum?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yamaha recently announced their new flagship model to have 9.1 channel surround sound.
http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu..._RX-Z9_PR.html

I'm just wondering: How many do we think we need? Personally, I'm a little disappointed that we don't have any on the Y plane. If you're going to put 9 on all sides, don't we need some in the floor and ceiling? Maybe put a sub in the neighbor's house for long distance explosions.

Sep 22, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 28
I'm sure your neighbor would love that, kelly, especially with your concept of realistic volume.

Seems like diminishing returns would set in real fast. I guess they're trying to make it foolproof to set up. Now they just need to add a few microphones like those B&O subs...put the speakers anywhere they fit.

Sep 23, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 28
ah, I can see it now. all DVDs will be re-issued in 9.1 (which will replace the 8.1s, which replaced the 7.1s, which replaced the 6.1s, which replaced the 5.1s, which replaced the 4.1s.
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Maybe put a sub in the neighbor's house for long distance explosions.

Genius! I laughed my ass off when I read this. How it goes it, Kelly? I haven't caught up with you for a long time. I hope things are well. Still laughing...

Sep 23, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 28
i think 5 and a sub are enough. but my setup is still 2 channel. lucky 5.1 having bastards all of you.
tongue.gif
(some of you anyways)

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 28
I'd imagine that two front speakers and two rear speakers are really enough. With those four, you have the back and front represented. Center and sub are kind of icing on the cake. And after that, it seems kind of excessive.

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by sephka
I'd imagine that two front speakers and two rear speakers are really enough. With those four, you have the back and front represented. Center and sub are kind of icing on the cake. And after that, it seems kind of excessive.

In my experience, I'd rather have the center than the rears, actually.

Sep 23, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 28
kelly: For smaller listening areas and rooms, 5.1 seems to be enough - I'd consider a 6.1 or 7.1 configuration only for bigger rooms and if the sweetspot should be big enough for more than three people sitting side by side. Yamahas 9.1 is actually a 7.1 configuration plus two additional, less powerful channels for two small front effect speakers that should be placed a little more outward and higher than the front speakers in order to widen the soundstage even more. If you're into effects, you might like such a setup, too - especially in combination with the plenty dsp programs Yamaha ht receivers and amps usually offer.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 23, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 28
Four. That's the setup I have (phantom center). Wouldn't know where to put the center, anyway.

Although I do agree that more would be better if we went vertical.

Sep 23, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Dusty Chalk said...

Four. That's the setup I have (phantom center). Wouldn't know where to put the center, anyway.

Although I do agree that more would be better if we went vertical.

Heh, same setup as me, and the same comment I was going to make.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back