How many CDs / Records do you own?
May 10, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #61 of 75
I have like 2 or 3 hundred, and I'm about to sell 100 of those.

2,000 on my computer though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway; I used to have about 400lbs of LPs before the floods that came along with the Hurricanes of '04 turned them into a 400lb lump of vinyl, paper and cardboard.

Aw man that sucks. You gonna replace them?

May 11, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm envious of people who are satisfied with just a couple of hundred CD's. I don't think I'll ever be one of those people.

Ive only got about 200 CD's but i am far, far from satisfied! Just a very poor student. Im working on it, and once a have a proper job it's going to be dangerous!

It is an addiction, but it's so worth it.

May 11, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #64 of 75
Perhaps 150 LPs, no idea how many CDs, 98% of them are back home. A few hundred anyway.

As regards downloading music. I downloaded Tubular Bells, I now have the entire Mike Oldfield Discography on CD and most of it on Vinyl, as well as a few tapes and rarities.

Downloaded an Eiffel 65 song. Now have all of their CDs and some vinyl.

Downloaded East Hastings. Now have the complete GY!BE on CD and on Vinyl.

Downloaded the Smurfs Christmas Party. Deleted it. Stuck with Leon Redbones Christmas Island (which is sitting in a group of 5 or 6 Leon Redbone CDs).

I've also downloaded stuff which is nigh impossible to get ahold of as a physical copy. Things like the Red Alert 2 OST by Frank Klepacki or needledrops of rare mixes of tracks or albums (usually of albums I own a normal copy of, or even multiple copies of, like Hergest Ridge).

Other stuff thats never been released on CD but someone has made recordings of. Sonic the Hedgehog game music for example. I'll download that. I did have a copy of the game once upon a time though.

May 12, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #65 of 75
I outgrew my 125CD binder this past summer, so I'd guess I have closer to 250 by now. I've been averaging buying 5 new CDs per week for a while now, and that really taps into a poor man's paycheck.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #68 of 75
150 on LP (just started)
250 on CD (15 years worth)

But, if you count live recordings..jazz, bluegrass, and jam that number easily doubles.

Great poll. (TWSS)

May 17, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #70 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying used is no better than downloading illegaly, since the artist is not getting any money from your purchase, correct? Just wanted to make sure... I have only bought used once and that was from a sale here on head-fi. I havent bought anything used since then, because I dont think buying used CDs is any better than downloading illegaly. Can some one clarify?

The big difference is that when you buy a CD used, the original owner has to give up his privilege of listening to the music. No additional, unauthorised copies of the music is being created, and hence the artist loses nothing. That's why most people believe the used market is fine (though not the RIAA, which intermittently lobbies to stomp down the used market)

May 19, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #72 of 75
May 19, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricco87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you guys afford? Where do you get your CD's? I'm guessing you all spend between £5-10 (sorry $10-20) on an average CD album? If I bought all the albums I wanted I would probably still only have about 500 and be multiple thousands of £/$ in debt!

What's everyone's view to downloading these days? i use it to check out bands before I buy the album. Obviously for the quality I wouldn't use MP3's for any propper listening other than to trial

Personally, I target $10 or less per cd when I buy (on average, including any tax and shipping). It is usually quite doable (and I've been at least $1 less than that over the past 2-3 years).

There are several keys to achieving this: 1) No impulse buys - shop around (and often). I have a list of stuff I know I want and I know what a good sale will be. I just wait for those. 2) Don't buy many albums when they first come out. While some albums have sales right away (pop/rock stuff), others (classical/jazz) stay at their retail prices longer. 3) Compare, compare, compare. Checkout lots of sites. 4) BE careful or shipping and taxes. If you live in NY, J&R just isn't a great deal even when they have sales (because of taxes). Amazon marketplace sellers carry their own risks, but even if you add in 2.98 for shipping, you can often do better than elsewhere. But this goes back to #3, as those good prices will not stay for long. 5) Personally, I never buy something unless it is in stock. It has nothing to do with price, but I've never had a problem receiving CDs and such as others have. I think this helps. 6) Downloads are often much cheaper than the album (but surprisingly, will be often much more expensive too). But again, shop around.

Most of you all probably know this, but in case someone was looking for some advice, there you go.

I'd estimate I have about 800-1000 CDs. Seems like a lot to me.

May 20, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #75 of 75
i often spend 99p on cds over at ebay. all it takes is a huge 'want' list, and a lot of patience.
its always a good idea to compare the used cd prices to the ebay ones too, so that you dont overspend on that 'must have'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back