How many beside me are still using Head Related Transfer?
Dec 3, 2004 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hydef

New Head-Fier
How many here are still using and enjoying hear related transfer in their cans? I use Fostex PQ to hear lively Ry Cooder tunes from movie soundtracks. For new people the 'haas' effect is to transmit a signal slower than is heard in the other speaker or as in Dolby Pro-Logic or DPLII the brain is fooled into thinking it has ears in the back and top of the head AKA Foley. 19th century audio pioneer Jack Foley was famous for making human sounds out of rocking chairs and other devices simulating human footsteps and other goings on in the back of your head.

Things about it:
1. No more $125 Disturbing the peace fines
2. I could have my system on as loud as I like it at 3:00 AM without disturbing or being disturbed it's a 2 way street.
3. Cheaper to use than high watt eating powered sub woofers, expensive receivers and speakers.

Any signal that's in Dolby Surround be it DVD-A, VCR on line(under channel 2), CD, DVD, Compact Disc, Compact Cassette, reel to reel can be made to sound like like loud speakers using HRT better know today as the Dolby Headphone. The looks you get when giving your victim er your tester, will be seen in raising of the eyebrows and shaking their head. A Way to indroduce Virtual Reality in Sound. This pertains to the subject question above, anyone into brain fooling devices beside me in Stereo Headphones expanding Dolby Surround to not being able to tell where the sound was coming from.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know if anyone besides me is working on this, if watching Stargate a partial VR in sight, as that 1000 light year ride is only 46 seconds away to the Kalium Galaxy to your ears and body, you'll *feel* like you took that ride not just watched someone else supposedly go on that ride, that's were you turn up that second married device. To do what it was not even *thought* it could to do in a video DVD in Dolby Surround using a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) mode of theater. I married a Radio Shack 42-2108 OOP device to it and I continue to experiment with the devices one made up in 1984 the other adapted to Dolby Surround in 1994.

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 5
The only other brain-fooling i see going on in head-fi on a regular basis would be that of Crossfeed. one of our Sponsors, Meier Audio, is a big proponent of crossfeed and incorporates it into all of his amps, plus he has a standalone unit. Headroom and Xin also like the 'feed.

But as for the Dolby theater experience in a pair of cans - I can't say it's that popular of an option among the head-fi folks as of yet.

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, in short: To me Dolby Headphone typically sounds rather odd for music, but for movies it's quite fun to play around with. TruSurround XT Headphone and Xear3D seemed less convincing to my ears. Whereas Dolby Headphone for me created quite nice 3D illusions with the few DD5.1 soundtracks I've tried. As software solution in players like PowerDVD 5 Deluxe or WinDVD 6 Platinum, it's a nice addendum for a reasonable amount of money. And if was was more of a modern movie fan, I'd probably be inclined to invest some 300 Euro max. in a hardware solution as well...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 5
I use a totally passive headphone surround matrix of my own design which is pretty effective with movies and WAY better than anything else I have used for music ambience where it enriches the experience of live recordings without destroying the essence of the music.That is where ALL headphone surround systems I have heard fall short-with music reproduction with added ambient space.

Dolby Headphone probably whips mine with movies but I personally will take a minimal of processing in the signal path over a slight increase in perceived performance.
Straight in-straight out with only what I want or need added be it in the time/space or spectral area.Nothing "extracted" or inadvertantly modified from the main signal which ALL DSP processors must do simply because they are in the digital domain and that means ADC-DSP-DAC or all in one CODEC which does the same thing.in other words-the entire audio signal must pass through the processor or none of it.

nope.not for the rickmeister at all and just will not do
tongue.gif

Analog Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back