How many are at work right now?
Jan 29, 2007 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

TVaudio

100+ Head-Fier
Another boring Sunday night sitting at work. Who else is?

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At home. Working grading papers. But NOT bored listening to Harnoncourt's Mozart Requiem come to life inside my AKG 701s..

Ditto. Except Requiem was earlier and with K1000s. Right now, I'm grading papers, getting ready to go to bed, and listening to EmmyLou Harris's Wrecking Ball with K340.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 43
Sorry for going OT, but:

As a student, I've always been curious: What's it like grading papers? Is it incredibly boring? Hard work? Do you ever wonder about the work relationship between a student's writing a paper and the teacher's grading it (Sometimes I've had teacher's say that they don't feel like giving out an extra assignment because they don't feel like grading an extra assignment)?

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for going OT, but:

As a student, I've always been curious: What's it like grading papers? Is it incredibly boring? Hard work? Do you ever wonder about the work relationship between a student's writing a paper and the teacher's grading it (Sometimes I've had teacher's say that they don't feel like giving out an extra assignment because they don't feel like grading an extra assignment)?

I think this is on topic because the question was how many of us are at work. Helping a student understand more about the educational process is a part of every teacher's duty
smily_headphones1.gif

I love every aspect of teaching EXCEPT grading. It is often disheartening but mainly, except on certain special assignments, it is just drudgery. In part that is because the only time most of us have to do the grading is evenings and weekends.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for going OT, but:

It can be boring, but exciting too. If one is well written, or if it demonstrates progress, or especially if it shows a student has interesting ideas, it is really rewarding. I'm constantly blown away by my students' ideas. I just wish they would learn to spell, or even better, to proofread
biggrin.gif
What's brutal is when students write crap or fluff, do so poorly, and then expect a good grade. I take my time with each paper, because each student deserves that type of attention. On the other hand, I have 143 students. If something is really poorly written and requires lots of correcting, it takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes per paper to do it correctly. Do the math on that one. Ugh. Thank goodness for good music, good gear, and a little internet distraction between papers!!!

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 43
I am at work...work in a quality control lab for a chemical manufacturer. I actually spend more time on this site when I am at work than at home.

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 43
I'm working...I work from home from 9ish pm to 4 am 7 days a week with a break usually for bed-time routines for the kids. So...I'm working and listening. Does this count?

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 43
Its 3:00pm Monday Afternoon in Australia, so I am definitely at work!

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 43
At home, and working.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 43
It's almost midnight and I'm at home
smily_headphones1.gif

My dad just left for his midnight shift at the hospital, though, so I'm posting for him
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back