How Low is Low Enough? Subwoofer Questions...
May 2, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozhoven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently shopping around for a sub to put with my dedicated 2-channel system.

I'm running Monitor Audio 303's and they get down to something like 37hz (if memory serves CORRECTION: it is 35hz). The bass is nice enough, but I want a lower bottom end. There are lots of well reviewed subwoofers (like Eosone RSP 910) but they don't get too low. The Eosone only gets down to 32hz, whereas others seem to average around 25hz, and a few down 21hz.

I'll be using my system in a small, 300 sqft space for music only. It'll be a mix of classical, rock, acoustic, well - everything. I like bass - I like it a lot.

If I bought a nice sub with a bottom end around 32hz, will I be missing out? Should I hold out for a deeper sub?

It depends. If the speaker/sub is rated plus/minus 3db @ 37hz, it's probably -3db's at that frequency. You'd have to biamp the low driver, and feed it twice the power to achieve a true 37hz. But you'd have to cross over the low driver in the range in which it's frequency begins to drop off, totally messing up the mids you'd cut out as a resullt. If it's -10db @ 37hz, it realisticly wound output 37hz at a level you could hear (or at least usefully). It takes a sub to achieve real bass. And the larger, the better. Micro subs have Macro distortion, and no REAL sub 20hz output. And for home audio, ported subs or infinite baffle is the way to go.

May 27, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say get a sub that covers down to 25Hz. That will give enough foundation for any music you can throw at it. Getting below 25Hz is mainly necessary for movie watching, but that requires a very big box.

I would recommend the Martin Logan Abyss as a musical sub that can attain 25Hz with and be down only a few dB (rated _/-3dB down to 25Hz)

There is no miracle cheap small subwoofer that can do deep and loud bass, it's physics. You need hefty cabinets, drivers, amps to provide clean sound if you are looking to shake up the house. And that usually costs more

Agreed. I'd recommend a Dayton Titanic 12" sub. That's right, a 12" sub. You don't have to blast it, and don't worry about the wavelength, which is as long as a warehouse and won't fit in any home room. You will notice tne increase in sound quality.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #33 of 41
This may be kind of late but try the EAW SB 2001. Warning in 300 sq ft this may cause infrastructure damge. Or you could always go with a rotary subwoofer. Great technology there with a frequency response all the way to 1 hz.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #34 of 41
If this thread is still alive , i need to ask if i need a separate amp , other than my Hegel H360 to use a sub ?

I cant imagine how a sub would fit into my setup

I have considered the Dynaudio line ,as they may match well with my focus 340s

Cheers

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #37 of 41
Also, what is your budget and how big is your room?
What is your setup? What gear (make/model)?

Thank you

I have a Hegel H360 amp

I have sussed that i can use a sub on the fixed output so all is good there

My room is quite small

Im under 20 ft from my speakers(Dynaudio focus 340s)

I ve looked at the Dyn subs the sub 6 is their top gear i think

Very expensive at near 3k Is that not alota money for boom ?

I admit im new to the sub world tho , so maybe there is extreme value in near 3k for a sub ?

My budget is pretty well maxed if i was to get that Dyn sub. But given more time i could afford more

Im in between deciding what my next audio gear/toy will be TBH

What ever offers the biggest difference is likely where ill go

I ve been following the Realizer A 16 on here and elsewhere for well over a year or so

In a perfect scenario i would just get both :)

Im honestly trying to decide which would add the most difference/contrast to what i already have

Thank you

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #38 of 41
You don't want to use a sub on a fixed output. Need to use the variable level output so that once your sub gain (volume) is optimized for your room/setup, then the sub's volume goes up and down with the speaker volume.

It's not how far away from your speakers, but rather how big in volume your room is. Subs interact with the whole room, and so you will need more or less sub in max output depending on your room size and listening volumes. Room size also greatly influences whether or not you are better off with ported or sealed sub.

If your room is not terribly large, you might be better off spending some of that money on EQ for the sub. Sub frequency response is greatly impacted by room interaction and typically need EQ.

A new amp would likely provide minimal benefit in SQ. Whereas if your current setup lacks bass at lower frequencies that you would like to hear, you know you can benefit from a sub.

If you are in the US, I wouldn't buy a Dynaudio sub. Typically, most speaker brand subs are over-priced compared to the value you can get with Internet direct subwoofer companies like Rythmik Audio, SVS Sound, HSU Research, and Power Sound Audio.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #39 of 41
You don't want to use a sub on a fixed output. Need to use the variable level output so that once your sub gain (volume) is optimized for your room/setup, then the sub's volume goes up and down with the speaker volume.

It's not how far away from your speakers, but rather how big in volume your room is. Subs interact with the whole room, and so you will need more or less sub in max output depending on your room size and listening volumes. Room size also greatly influences whether or not you are better off with ported or sealed sub.

If your room is not terribly large, you might be better off spending some of that money on EQ for the sub. Sub frequency response is greatly impacted by room interaction and typically need EQ.

A new amp would likely provide minimal benefit in SQ. Whereas if your current setup lacks bass at lower frequencies that you would like to hear, you know you can benefit from a sub.

If you are in the US, I wouldn't buy a Dynaudio sub. Typically, most speaker brand subs are over-priced compared to the value you can get with Internet direct subwoofer companies like Rythmik Audio, SVS Sound, HSU Research, and Power Sound Audio.

Thanks very much

My room is quite small

Does a sub have to be out front and directed at me as speakers do ?

i have room by my left facing speaker . Can a sub sit within inches of a speaker

Now that i think of it im wondering where the heck i could actually place a sub

Cheers

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #40 of 41
Yes. You can put it next to a speaker. No. It doesn't have to be directed at you.

Subs interact with the room, and even moving a sub a couple of feet along one wall can affect how it sounds at the listening position. So that one spot might not be the best place for the sub to perform in your room. Many people try it in several positions to see where it sounds best. Or they try the sub crawl.

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #41 of 41
Yes. You can put it next to a speaker. No. It doesn't have to be directed at you.

Subs interact with the room, and even moving a sub a couple of feet along one wall can affect how it sounds at the listening position. So that one spot might not be the best place for the sub to perform in your room. Many people try it in several positions to see where it sounds best. Or they try the sub crawl.
Thank you mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back