How loud would 250 OHM Headphones go without an AMP?
Oct 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vidya

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I've been looking into some Beyerdynamic 880s and 990s but I'm not sure about if you NEED an amp for them since I'm a noob to audiophillia. I would probably eventually get an amp but not in the near future, would I be able to use them straight into a Z77 ASUS Sabertooth motherboard and be able to hear audio reasonably?

(I know there are 32 etc ohm versions but I am planning on getting an amp in a few months time)

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 6
Your motherboard will be absolutely fine, i've tested my Hifiman HE5-LE's straight from my onboard audio and they are driven to reasonable levels.

If a motherboard soundcard can drive them it can drive anything.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Hey,

I've been looking into some Beyerdynamic 880s and 990s but I'm not sure about if you NEED an amp for them since I'm a noob to audiophillia. I would probably eventually get an amp but not in the near future, would I be able to use them straight into a Z77 ASUS Sabertooth motherboard and be able to hear audio reasonably?

(I know there are 32 etc ohm versions but I am planning on getting an amp in a few months time)

Well, simple calculation can give you a ball park number. For example, Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm has a sensitivity of 96. A computer sound card typically outputs 0.5-2v. So your maximum sound from DT880 is anywhere between 96-107 dB.

How loud is 107dB? It is about as loud as [size=x-small][size=x-small]timpani & bass drum rolling. So it is loud enough to be heard if you dial your pc volume to the max.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]However, if you play classical music which has wide dynamic range, 107dB is not high enough. You will most likely experience some sound peak clip-off. That is when you need a headphone amp.[/size][/size]

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 6
I've never ever been happy plugging into my mobo for volume ever (even before this hobby). Let alone if you use EQ at all because you'll have to attune the Db level down. I know it's not remotely the same, but with my DT990 600ohm I couldn't get them to a pleasing volume level out of my Essence ST at the max.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 6
My 250 ohm Beyers were loud enough out of my motherboard but the sound quality definitely suffered. Volume has always been a secondary benefit of amps to me.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 6
loud enough for any low to moderate level listener

Users who are viewing this thread

Back