How loud should i have my IEM's?
Oct 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:
One important thing..
Some of you downloaded the awareness app, which is fine at least if you have got IEM's from etymotic - because the app is optimized for the ety earphones... Just saying you cant really count on the results not using an ety earphone, at least that is what they state on the website or in the app (cant remember :p)
I think i will try not going over 80 dB.

The idea about measuring by putting the mic to the earplug is a good idea, i will try that as soon as possible..

No not true. The main purpose with Etymotic and the Awareness! app is to utilize the iPhone/iPod mic on the MC3/HF3 so you can still hear things around you that goes above a certain noise level. For instance, you can still keep your IEMs plugged in and blocking outside noise, but when the App detects high dB, it draws that sound in from the mic so you can hear it, for example a cars horn or something.

So... Either way you can use IEMs with or without a mic. You just have to place the earpiece nozzle facing towards the mic on the phone to get a reading

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #32 of 51
Wow that is one cool app! I have never heard of that before. definitely getting it for when I am biking around town

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #33 of 51
They are not made for the iphone mic, but rather the mic on the earphones from what i have heard...

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 51
Perhaps... But, it does work with the mic on the iPhone.

Jim

They are not made for the iphone mic, but rather the mic on the earphones from what i have heard...

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #35 of 51
Sounds interesting but I'm not really sure I'd trust my safety to an app. Kinda getting ridiculous here....

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #36 of 51
Yea he's right it is pretty unreliable unless I guess you are using it with the ety and still I would not fully trust it.

Based on this post:.......

I went ahead and tried a wired earbud style headset mic to see if I got more realistic readings than straight out of my ipad mic. At 1/3 ipod touch volume, my TF10's buried the needle with this mic. The ipad mic is similarly registering higher than is humanly possible considering I can still hear out of both my ears.

Putting the IEM up against the mic is an unrealistic test. If you go off of that however you should be pretty safe cuz I assure you your listening levels will be so low that you will prolly improve your hearing if anything.

Anyway, just saying. Better off buying a meter from rat shack.

Doc

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #37 of 51
To make a summary of my personal choice of volume level, i'll go for no more than 5 bars, max 6... And hope for the best :p

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #38 of 51
Why hope for the best?

Invest some time and figure out what your player and IEM combo put out Db wise.

It is possible to do.

Jim

To make a summary of my personal choice of volume level, i'll go for no more than 5 bars, max 6... And hope for the best :p

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 51
Have you tried the APP?

You trust your life to similar things...

Cheers, Jim

Sounds interesting but I'm not really sure I'd trust my safety to an app. Kinda getting ridiculous here....

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #40 of 51
Quote:
Have you tried the APP?
You trust your life to similar things...
Cheers, Jim

No I trust my life to common sense when I'm out and about and will not trust an app on a phone to determine if the volume is safe or not for me to hear cars or things happening around me. I have enough sense to know this. Would be like giving your GPS 100% confidence and following its directions even when it is wrong and thus endangering your life. Would not be the first time I had an experience like this. If I had listened to the GPS I'd have drove my car off the Pali :wink:.

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #41 of 51
You Sir have just proven my point.

GPS is a fine example. Anything used with a bit of Common Sense is not always bad.

Cheers, Jim

No I trust my life to common sense when I'm out and about and will not trust an app on a phone to determine if the volume is safe or not for me to hear cars or things happening around me. I have enough sense to know this. Would be like giving your GPS 100% confidence and following its directions even when it is wrong and thus endangering your life. Would not be the first time I had an experience like this. If I had listened to the GPS I'd have drove my car off the Pali :wink:.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #42 of 51
Not exactly. Trusting your safety to an app is just not smart IMO. Glad it works for you but I won't dare trust my life to such a thing. I'll manually make sure I'm listening at a safe level or better yet not using such an isolating IEM while out on the road. Will this app pay for your health insurance if you get hurt? Oh wait I forgot your insurance is covered unlike it is here. :p. You are in the UK right?

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #43 of 51
The app is not designed to measure your IEM output.

It does do what it is intended for very well though.

Nope, not in the UK, jes an ole country boy in VA.

Have a good one, Jim

Not exactly. Trusting your safety to an app is just not smart IMO. Glad it works for you but I won't dare trust my life to such a thing. I'll manually make sure I'm listening at a safe level or better yet not using such an isolating IEM while out on the road. Will this app pay for your health insurance if you get hurt? Oh wait I forgot your insurance is covered unlike it is here. :p. You are in the UK right?

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #44 of 51
Look, with the app i measured 90+ dB with the volume on 1/16 (iphone), so i guess this app wont help me protect my ears unless it sugests that i should not use iems afterall

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #45 of 51
The app is not designed to do what you are doing...

I would suggest, as I have already stated... Find the formula, and do the math.

Jim

Look, with the app i measured 90+ dB with the volume on 1/16 (iphone), so i guess this app wont help me protect my ears unless it sugests that i should not use iems afterall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back