How loud is too loud...
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #76 of 100
nv88, all levels relate to average noise levels. Because the ear is not linear different corrective filters are available in SPL meters. A weighteted is most suitable for low level sounds, B louder and C really loud. In conflict with this many government agencies (O.S.H.A. and others) still insist on using A weighted for measuring loud soundsources. Using A weighted with really loud sound causes the meter to give lower readings than the soundlevel really is.
Myself i use the A weighted on my meter because it only has A and C. B would probably be better for my use, but as long as I`m aware that my readings will be lowish it works OK. I`m looking to buy a better one when funds allow
smile.gif
To get accurate readings of a headset you really should use a dummyhead meter, but these are very expensive. I guess you could get OK "in the ballpark" readings by placing the mic flush with one of the drivers, aiming straight in. As long as you get levels around 80dB or lower I`d use A weighted, when you get in the 90-100dB range use C. You also need to use the slow response setting on your meter if you`re after average SPL.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #77 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a couple of posts on how you can measure with an SPL meter. I'm sure they're not perfect, but you can get at least a ball park figure.

Here's how I measure IEM SPL. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2850576-post102.html

From the same thread, here's how to measure SPL for a full sized can http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2767153-post42.html

From what I've read, the best measure for IEMs is done by an audiologist with a small microphone in your ear with the IEMs in place. I've not yet found an audiologist in my area that does this though.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #79 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really enjoying my Grado SR60's and listening to some tool.

When I listen to heavier music like Tool, I like it loud.
I'm just not really sure how loud is too loud, what is a comfortable volume level and how do you test?

I don't want to damage my ears, but I really like to here it...

Is there a point where i can be going to loud for my headphones and blow them out..

I'm listening through my macbook. The itunes volume is at full, the macbook volume is 1 bar under halfway. So I could go a lot lot louder...

[size=xx-large]WHAT?![/size]
gs1000.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #80 of 100
Depending on my mood, the music, time of day, etc, I may vary from the first volume bar (Macbook) to one bar above the halfway point. This is through my AD700. I'm currently enjoying the Cocteau Twins on bar one. Early in the morning or late at night, I prefer the volume at lower levels.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #82 of 100
Quote:
For most kids in my grade, max volume is normal. For me however, I consider above 33% loud because of my great hearing

I wouldn't consider necro bumping this thread as a good practice, but I commend for not listening to your music so carelessly, and that you preserve your hearing. I'm in The top band in my school in 8th grade and playing in the marching band next year, but I have established a slight hatred of the percussion section. The people around where I live that may join the band to play percussion are the loud music-damaged hearing jock types. My Half-Deaf band director tells them to back off and all they do is nod their heads, smile, and play louder. I'm still itching to get some ety-plugs to ease the loudness of our Quad player.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #84 of 100
For most kids in my grade, max volume is normal. For me however, I consider above 33% loud because of my great hearing
I'm still itching to get some ety-plugs to ease the loudness of our Quad player.

I want ety plugs too but right I recommend this as a temporary fix. Get swimming earplugs and put cotton under the flange, it reduces more sound. It's not great but decent enough.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #85 of 100
You would experience other problems long before you cause any permanent damage, just like when going to a loud concert and you it sounds like a ringing in your ears for the next day or so.  If you experience anything weird about your hearing then stop listening for a while until things return to normal and then you can go back to listening to music at lower volumes, but your ears are not as delicate as you might think so there is no need for paranoia.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #86 of 100
I think to some extent how loud is too loud is obviously a subjective opinion. 

Personally I listen at moderate levels the majority of the times rarely do I listen at low volume or high volume - I just crank it up a bit until it sounds 'normal' to me not too loud not too quiet. I listen to everything at moderate levels because to me there's no reason to have music 'loud' because there's no need. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #88 of 100
seeing as this thread just got resurrected... 

if i got a cheepy spl meter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/USB-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B005JX2EZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350763841&sr=8-1&keywords=spl+meter

and closed my headphones around it, measured around 75 db, and did my best to stay at that volume, would that be a sufficient way to take good care of my hearing? i have closed cans and comparing the volume to human speech is just impossible. im never sure i got it right...

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #89 of 100
SPL meter is a good way, yep.

The main thing you have to ensure of is a close to as perfect as possible 'seal' between the mic and the headphone pad. Cutting out dense cardboard to slot over spl meter's microphone end and pressing all of this against the pad is one way to achieve the seal. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #90 of 100
Quote:
SPL meter is a good way, yep.

The main thing you have to ensure of is a close to as perfect as possible 'seal' between the mic and the headphone pad. Cutting out dense cardboard to slot over spl meter's microphone end and pressing all of this against the pad is one way to achieve the seal. 

ok, thanks. wouldnt just closing the cups around the mic be good enough? and did i get the db level right? i understand 80 db is about the barrier, so i thought id go with 75 to account for accuracy issues and just for the sake of being on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back