How Loud is loud? My left ear is aching sometimes.
Jan 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #16 of 27
It is extremly important to watch your sound level when listening to music. I work as a live soundengineer in a small venue and I`m always monitoring the conserts I mix with a sound level meter. At a 1-2 hour concert I never let the average level over 85 - 90 dBA, and never a peak level over 105 dBA (I don`t want to be the one causing people premanent hearingloss). With long (16 hours or more) exposure a level as low as 80dBA can give permanent hearingloss, at 85dBA norwegian law states that hearingprotection must be worn when the exposure is 8 hours or more. Even US standards states a maximum exposure at 95 dBA of 4 hours. A peak at 120 dBA can leave you permanently deaf!
If you experience ringing/hissing/beeping sounds and of course pain after a listening session: TURN IT DOWN! (and take breaks). Your hearing is supposed to last a lifetime, take care of your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #17 of 27
ya now i know.
biggrin.gif

did a Freq test..and can still hear upto 20 khz.

man..when did i post this. seems like years ago

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll know what is too loud.

If that were true, this thread wouldn't have been started?

But for sure, if it's uncomfortable it's too loud

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to scare myself sometimes when I dropped my headphones for a minute to get a drink or so and could still hear the music when the other side of the room ..

I'm more careful now...

hehe unless its ultrasone, these things at my comfortable listening volume on the iPod for instance is about 6/10 volume, i find it not exactly loud and when i pull them off everyone can hear it thats near me, the music is just soo clear i can even hear the vocals the guitar, anything but lower notes and bass.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #21 of 27
It's odd for me. My ears never get fatigued from prolonged music exposure. I usually leave my Ipod at half to 75% volume, and keep my Zune at level 13-15. I think those are ok. I never get ear pain either. Odd...

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #22 of 27
It's funny once you know a little bit more about how hearing works. The fact that increased volume tends to give the perception of 'better' sound quality is the biggest one, human hearing frequency response is the second. With the first you understand that cranking the volume merely gives the perception of better SQ. With the second you realize that extreme bass or treble is not how our ears work.

I find myself often listening for a few minutes then turning the volume down a touch. For some reason with me this works to maybe acclimate my ears to listening to music then adjusting the volume down while keeping the detail. It seems counterintuitive and it may just be me but it works :shrug:

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #23 of 27
To clear up this thread. The general consensus is 80dB for a duration of more than 2-4 hours may result in hearing loss.
Sharp changes in dynamics (i.e. suddenly turning them on at 100+dB) is more likely to result in hearing damage.
If you are getting ear aches over the course of a day, you are listenning to too much too loud for too long a time. Either cut down on volume or duration.
IEMs are likely to cause damage because they can put pressure directly on the canal/drum.
SQ does not improve with volume, nor is it a function of our ears. The brain naturally responds to a bigger sound, associating it with bigger = better. It also makes subtle things become more apparent btw (for those who dont listen critically)...
source: postgraduate studies
tl;dr high listening volumes (within reason... say 103 dB for 2 hours without breaks) is not terribly likely to cause hearing damage if they are fullsized headphones unless they are initiated at a high volume. Concerts are more likely to damage your hearing because they dont start quiet and turn the sound up suddenly.
Would still recommend "soft" listenning levels and to take BREAKS
EDIT:: as for scientifically how loud is too loud ~120dB at the ear will result in physical discomfort immediately.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #24 of 27
Stop listening to headphones for awhile and see a medical doctor who specializes in ears, nose and throat. No joke, I strongly suggest you do this.
Please no argumentative response to the following, I'm only trying to help:
Ultrasones are supposed to be safer for one's hearing.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #25 of 27
My earache turned out to be unrelated to headphones. It was a sinus issue. (I certainly never thought I was listening too loud!)

I have found that there is a sort of "magic" volume setting for me. Just slightly higher seems excessively loud. Just slightly lower lacks fullness and is unsatisfying. This setting varies according to the 'phones and the amp, but I always recognize it when I find it.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #27 of 27
Finally found this post I was looking for. I had the same ear pain (one ear too) about three days ago even though the volume was not really THAT high. I was thinking because the phones were closed rather than open that it (ES7) traps the sound more inside the ear canal and against the eardrum. May cause me to stick to my open Grado's and stop using closed type cans. Can you elaborate regarding your SINUS issue? Did you confer with an ENT doc? If it seems too personal then disregard. Sorry for bumping an old post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back