How loud do you listen to music?
Dec 15, 2002 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just wondering since listening to anything above 80dB for a long time is harmful to one's hearing, is there a cheaper way to measure how loud are you actually listening besides using instruments?

Dec 15, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 37
my rule of wrist *cackles and sees if anyone get it* is that if it physically hurts my ears or gives me a headache, its too focken loud and i turn it down. your body more often than not is the best measurement device for such things.

most doctors and medical practices follow an average, where people who know their bodies can exceed and still remain healthy.

for instance, i know someone who's gone to concerts most of his teenage life and well into his college years, a good 10 years or so of concerts almost 2 a month, and he can still hear someone fart in the tub from the otherside of the house.
tongue.gif
(his condition and behavior in a physicians handbook from 8 years ago says he should be deaf or missing most of his perception in hearing. He should be as deaf as my dad is, but he ain't
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 15, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 37
I don't actually know how loud am I listening, but the Creek's volumeknob is at 8 o'clock most of the time (min. 7 o'clock, max. 5 o'clock) and it never goes past 9 o'clock.

If I want to rock it out, I just use my Logitechs for that.

Dec 15, 2002 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 37
I have no idea how loud it actually is...

But, if anyone has an X-Can V2, and a pair of Senns... try listening between 10, and 1 o'clock, thats where you'll find me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 15, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 37
ablaze: The common brilliant idea for that is the cheap sound level meter from Radioshack. My usual listening level is around 85 dB, by the way, but I rarely listen for more than 1 h in one go, so I don't really worry about that.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 16, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 37
At my normal listening level, I can't hear the headphones when they are two feet from my head (Single driver facing my ear). At one foot I can hear hints of music. This room isn't totally silent, though.

Dec 16, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 37
I too am concerned about preventing hearing damage, and would welcome a way to see just how loud I'm listening that would not require me to spend $50 on a db meter at radioshack.

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 37
I am very protective of my hearing because of the long duration of my daily listening sessions (2-4hrs/5-10hrs). I usually start listening at the lowest possible volume and let my ears adjust to it and then turn the volume up a bit more.

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 37
I'm another person paranoid about doing hearing damage. i usually listen to music from my PC with the soundcard settings all at 50% and the knob on the creek at between 8 to 9~ish

If someone is talking loudly i can tell they're saying something but it's not clear. this is with a pair of 770 pro's so even with the music off i have trouble hearing what people say
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back