How Loud Do You Listen? (SPL, not 'o'clock')
Apr 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
While I realize my iPhone isn't the best instrument to measure this with...according to it I listen between 80 and 90db. This is about what I expected. I bet it gets around 96 if I'm really rockin'.

Not really sure what to think of that. I've developed tinnitus recently, but strangely enough it started at a time where the loudest listening I was doing was probably around 60db (TV speakers) because I had no headphones or speakers to listen to.

Where do you listen? I know people that listen much louder than I do, and that kind of urks me as I feel I listen over what I probably should already.

I plan to get a better meter soon. I've been meaning to get a nicer, more accurate one for awhile now.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 8
http://expecttohearbetter.com/hearing-damage-sound-chart.html

Less worried when I see something like this...but I wonder how accurate it is.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 8
I have no idea how loud I listen to my headphones in terms of db. I have a rule of thumb though that I think works well with open cans. I snap my fingers in front of me and if I can easily hear it I know it is not too loud. This check is works well as I often find myself adjusting the volume throughout a listening session (with some songs being recorded much louder than others or at times I just want to get rockin' a bit more) so its a good check. I would hate to start loosing my hearing. I want to be able to enjoy this hobby for as long as I can. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 8
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
I have no idea how loud I listen to my headphones in terms of db. I have a rule of thumb though that I think works well with open cans. I snap my fingers in front of me and if I can easily hear it I know it is not too loud. This check is works well as I often find myself adjusting the volume throughout a listening session (with some songs being recorded much louder than others or at times I just want to get rockin' a bit more) so its a good check. I would hate to start loosing my hearing. I want to be able to enjoy this hobby for as long as I can. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 8
I listen at around 75 according to my iPhone. 85 dB occasionally. I think it is fairly reasonable.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

This may be a little off topic but my grandmother has a serious hearing problem to the point where she really cannot understand what anyone is saying when there are a few people talking at the same time for example. Now she does like music so our family decided to get her a new hifi system. I got her to listen to my DIY speakers which are quite a good design and cost about 600 euros for the pair to build. These things sound quite nice (highly biased opinion 
biggrin.gif
), but because they are floor standing and have a good bit of bass extension she did not like them at all because this just translated into a rumble for her (she could not really hear it, but she could 'feel' it). In the end we took her to a shop to audition some different speakers and she chose an Elac 184 which is a very small bookshelf; it is a precise and controlled speaker with a ribbon tweeter that has quite a bit of extension. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back