How loud can you play headphones??
Apr 10, 2006 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

russedelic

Head-Fier
I think I just blew the left speaker out on my brand new AKG701s! I was listening at loud, but not insane volume, playing them through my Adcom preamp. What happened???

Should headphones blow up at loud, but listenable volume? Might the problem be that I was powering them through the Preamp rather than a dedicated headphone amp?

Any recommendations on how not to repeat this? How loud do people listen?

My hearing isn't pristine, but it's not so bad that I should blow up speakers just to get a nice buzz with Pink Floyd/

rr

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 11
It could be that the impedances didn't play nice, or that you had a brown-out or sharp current spike. That sucks, man.

I listen at moderate volumes, with peaks not exceeding 90dB most of the time.

Edit: I will put forth that AKG has had QC issues in the past with some of their headphones; perhaps it's a manufacturing error? Call them and ask about warranty. New headphone should not blow at loud volumes, even at volumes that would hurt your ears. Most are rated to play at or above 115dB, which is hearing damage territory and would result in painful listening. If your ears weren't hurting, then they should have been fine.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 11
I really feel like you'd have to crank up that headphone to WAY unlistenable volumes to actually harm it. It's probably a manufacturing flaw of some sort...

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I wouldn't have thought you would have been using the line-out on your preamp, so it sounds like it's probably the phones themselves. Let's hope so and that the warranty covers the damage. Good luck.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 11
ARGH!! A blown K701? These 'phones don't come by easily! You have to been listening at an INSANE, literally ear-deafening volume to burst your headphones. It sounds like a manufacturing defect. I hope you get them fixed... Good luck.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Hope you didn't plug them into the line out.
I would contact AKG, sounds like a manufacturing defect.

I would go deaf before blowing the coils on any of my cans.

Garrett

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Aww S*#t, what a bummer.
I couldn't blow out my 701's until snot was running out my nose and my ears bleeding. Don't think the level did it.
Good luck,
Jim

~

Apr 13, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks all. The good news is that the folks at fullcompass.com responded incredibly well and have already got another pair on their way to me. Good place to buy. Ask specifically for Ken Schneider; he's incredible knowledgeable and helpful.

Apr 13, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 11
Either you came out of the line out, or you are going to lose your hearing in a few years! lesson here is; [size=medium]"TURN DOWN THAT VOLUME"[/size]
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back