How loose is too loose for a 2 pin connector?
May 21, 2022 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FlatBeat

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I bought a set of used IEM's and one of the connectors isn't very secure. To describe it, if I dangle the Iem from the cable it dosen't fall off, but a light pull removes it with not much resistance. If it was snagged in my pocket on something it would probably pull out.

I don't have much reference as I'm fairly new to this but I had a set of penon globes that were straight up difficult to pull out, like you had to really grip and apply a fair amount of force.

These are no where near that, just a light pull and they come out with just a touch of resistance.

Is this something that would be worth looking into as a warranty?

Thanks,

May 22, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 12
Well it's not gonna tighten back up (giggity). All iems I've owned have been pretty tight, too. If it's under warranty and there's no substantial cost, sure, why not.

May 23, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi everyone,

I bought a set of used IEM's and one of the connectors isn't very secure. To describe it, if I dangle the Iem from the cable it dosen't fall off, but a light pull removes it with not much resistance. If it was snagged in my pocket on something it would probably pull out.

I don't have much reference as I'm fairly new to this but I had a set of penon globes that were straight up difficult to pull out, like you had to really grip and apply a fair amount of force.

These are no where near that, just a light pull and they come out with just a touch of resistance.

Is this something that would be worth looking into as a warranty?

Thanks,

If your 2pin female socket is loose, you can use tools to fix it. Please see picture below.
If your 2pins are worn out, you can move the 2pins out a bit.

1653284020887.png

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
May 11, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 12
What tool is that?

Rather than mess with the IEM plugs I would, and have, make changes to the pins on the cable.

Messing with the tiny plugs on the IEM seems like a recipe for damage !

I have a set that the pins were a little loose.

Once I had established that I was happy with the cable with that IEM and was happy to commit to using the IEM exclusively with that cable I adjusted the cable pins to tighten the fit.

Take a set of flat faced pliers, not serrated, with nice clean faces without rough casting dags on the edges, I filed them clean with a fine file.

Give each pin a squeeze with the pliers and you can make the pins slightly out of round which will tighten the fit in the socket.

Go easy and do a little on each pin one each side at a time. It doesn’t take much hand force to make them tighter, do it in a few goes until the pins fit at the tightness you prefer.

May 14, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 12
Rather than mess with the IEM plugs I would, and have, make changes to the pins on the cable.

Once I had established that I was happy with the cable with that IEM and was happy to commit to using the IEM exclusively with that cable I adjusted the cable pins to tighten the fit.

Take a set of flat faced pliers, not serrated, with nice clean faces without rough casting dags on the edges, I filed them clean with a fine file.

Give each pin a squeeze with the pliers and you can make the pins slightly out of round which will tighten the fit in the socket.

Go easy and do a little on each pin one each side at a time. It doesn’t take much hand force to make them tighter, do it in a few goes until the pins fit at the tightness you prefer.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a pair a tad looser than I'd like and will give some thought to a method like that once I align on the cable I'll stick with

May 14, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a pair a tad looser than I'd like and will give some thought to a method like that once I align on the cable I'll stick with

Glad to help.

It is more than a suggestion, it works very well, I have done it on a couple of cables.

Just be sure the pliers are flat face without serrations and have clean edges, no casting mess.

Any serrations or messing parts from rough castings will imprint into the pins and make them rough.

May 14, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Glad to help.

It is more than a suggestion, it works very well, I have done it on a couple of cables.

Just be sure the pliers are flat face without serrations and have clean edges, no casting mess.

Any serrations or messing parts from rough castings will imprint into the pins and make them rough.
Thanks! I have jewelry pliers I can use. I'll also add my tip that you can coat them in toolmagic to make them non-marring as even smooth pliers can leave tiny marks otherwise. Do apply toolmagic in a well ventilated area. It doesn't smell great either.

May 14, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks! I have jewelry pliers I can use. I'll also add my tip that you can coat them in toolmagic to make them non-marring as even smooth pliers can leave tiny marks otherwise. Do apply toolmagic in a well ventilated area. It doesn't smell great either.

If you have it sure but I don't think this application is that critical that it is worth going out and buying that product.

I just gave the face of the pilers a light touch with a fine file to knock a few rough edges down and a pit of a smooth up with fine sandpaper.

Worked perfectly and any imperfections were at a level as to be inconsequential.

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 12

I’ve been struggling with a really loose connection and this made a meaningful difference!! The connection is much tighter now, thanks for this tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back