How long will Head-Fi last?
Aug 28, 2005 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
How long will Head-Fi last? A question I often ask myself, not only related to head-Fi but to other sites as well.

I have a website and I know that as soon as I'm dead then that's the end of my site and it will vanish into the ether as if it had never existed.

So........ how long will Head-Fi be around I wonder, will Jude still be running this site when he's 75 years old.... will he pass the baton over to his offspring or will Head-Fi disappear from the map and, if so, when?

Just think about it........ we have reference books such as encyclopedias and we can read up on past events but it's different with the WWW as once a site is gone, It's gone for good..... Will people in a hundred years time even know that Head-Fi once existed?

Pinkie.

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 28
To me, it looks like Jude works very hard on the continuity of this forum. I think he does a fantastic effort, and so do the moderators. This thing with the bold/italic font for the contributor usernames was a stroke of genius IMO (I got such a surprise when I returned from holiday
smily_headphones1.gif
): Subtle, yet very effective. [size=xx-small]Still have to cough up a bank note or two my self...[/size]

I really hope that this forum will keep on growing into an institution on the net; a place where you know you get friendly, honest and knowledged advice on head gear. It is already well on the way. You can’t google anything related to headphones and not get Head-Fi.org in the first 10 hits
tongue.gif

But as much as I think Jude’s work is invaluable I know he one day, not too far away, will leave. It is my belief one of the sponsors then will pick up the rights and continue.

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 28
I have also given this some thought.

Eventually Jude will retire (or die), and after that I do not doubt that someone else will step into his shoes. After that, there might even be another heir to the Head-Fi throne. But what Jude does is unique and takes a lot of skill, and I predict that his replacements will unintentionally mess something up, causing head-fi to either totally die, or merely cause the majority of its users to trickle away.

That being said, I can't imagine all of this happening in less than thirty or forty years.

Aug 28, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 28
The internet won't exist in 10-20 years time...

It'll be on a whole different level...

So, to me - none of the above
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
How long will Head-Fi last? A question I often ask myself, not only related to head-Fi but to other sites as well.

I have a website and I know that as soon as I'm dead then that's the end of my site and it will vanish into the ether as if it had never existed.

So........ how long will Head-Fi be around I wonder, will Jude still be running this site when he's 75 years old.... will he pass the baton over to his offspring or will Head-Fi disappear from the map and, if so, when?

Just think about it........ we have reference books such as encyclopedias and we can read up on past events but it's different with the WWW as once a site is gone, It's gone for good..... Will people in a hundred years time even know that Head-Fi once existed?

The Internet Archive will keep your web site for posterity. Just make sure you get your site archived!!
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan

It'll be on a whole different level...

So, to me - none of the above
biggrin.gif

Yes, when we all are connected to the Link, we will have 24/7 access to Head-fi!
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan

And....

Rock and Roll is just a passing phase
biggrin.gif

The Internet is not strategic
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nobody will ever need more than 640K
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Who knows what the Internet will like in 20 years, but I suspect a lot of content will be migrated, the internet is just a network of networks anyway.

Pinkie's point about stuff not persisting beyond its creators is an intriguing one, when a site dies unless someone has copied its content it is just gone.
Of course much that is on the internet is of evanescent interest only, but some stuff may be worth preserving. The reverse is true as well, i.e what do we have now recorded that will ever be translated into electronic form, will we ever get to the point where the sum of human knowledge is available online ?

In 100 years time I suspect the vexed questions of the Sennheiser Veil, Tube vs SS, Vinyl vs CD and so on will probably not be deemed to be of more than vague historical interest to anoraks.

Aug 28, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77

Pinkie's point about stuff not persisting beyond its creators is an intriguing one, when a site dies unless someone has copied its content it is just gone.

This is what I was trying to say in a round about way. If a million website owners die then that's a million websites that disappear off the face of the earth forever so really 99% of what we see on the web today will disappear eventually........

Aug 28, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 28
As long as there's an internet and headphones, there will be a need for a site like Head-Fi. If not this exact web site, something else quite like it. For now, Head-Fi is covering the headphone scene better than anything else, so its position is secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back