How long to transfer MP3 files..?
Jan 1, 2007 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Curious...
Those of you using windows drag/drop how long "should" it take to transfer files from your HD to the player? via USB 2.0

I just transferred 707MB and it took a good ~19 minutes.

Its been a while since I've had a flash based player and I dont recall it taking so long.

Thanks,
Garrett

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 20
I just transferred another 78M, and it took 2 minutes 20 seconds.

Are these numbers I am getting typical? any/all comments welcome. I need to know quickly, so I can return the MP3 player if its defective.

Thanks again,
Garrett

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 20
That happened to me too once, with my desktop vs my laptop. Found out it was my drivers that were rolled back to USB 1.1 for some reason, so I updated to 2.0 and it was a night and day speed difference. Check your USB drivers. If it's not that then maybe the flash player only supports 1.1?

Numbers are typical of 1.1.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That happened to me too once, with my desktop vs my laptop. Found out it was my drivers that were rolled back to USB 1.1 for some reason, so I updated to 2.0 and it was a night and day speed difference. Check your USB drivers. If it's not that then maybe the flash player only supports 1.1?

Numbers are typical of 1.1.

YEAH... thats exactly what it feels like. I have an old card reader thats USB1.0, that I still regularly use. Is it possible windows has auto-set my USB to a slower setting to compensate for the slower card reader?

Thanks... How do I do that?
Is it a windows control panel thing?

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 20
Yup, with my Cowon iAudio X5L I transfer about 1 gigabyte per minute through the subpack, but through the USB-OTG 1.1.. well, it's too slow for me to even tolerate.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 20
i think whatever usb port capable of what speed should run that speed as long as your operating system and motherboard support it.

with windows xp you need atleast Service Pack 1 or 2 for usb2.0 to work. then if you install a usb2.0 pci card then you should get usb2.0 speed.

unless your dont have sp1, or your flash player is not capable of usb2.0, or even the intergrated usb port of your mobo is usb1.1 only.

if you have no usb2.0 port, and you plug in a usb device and open the green icon that pop up in your taskbar in the lower right, it should say something like "your computer have no usb2.0 host controller".

i don't know of any control panel thing for usb. maybe it is just me, but some usb2.0 devices transfer files faster than other usb2.0 devices.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YEAH... thats exactly what it feels like. I have an old card reader thats USB1.0, that I still regularly use. Is it possible windows has auto-set my USB to a slower setting to compensate for the slower card reader?

Thanks... How do I do that?
Is it a windows control panel thing?

It's possible. My USB drivers have been rolled back a few times without me realizing it.

My Computer -> right click "Properties" -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Right Click...properties..drivers tab..update

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 20
OK thanks!!! all for your feedback.

I'm installing the service pack2. and I'll play around with some settings.

The player is a philips flash player / pen-drive, that is supposed to be USB2.0.

I'll play around with it some more today. I hope I don't have to return the player, it sounds decently good for a AAA powered unit.

**edit** dang this service pack install is slow...

thanks,
Garrett

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 20
OK...
downloaded and installed the service pack, and played around with device manager settings...
No dice
confused.gif

For the heck of it I benchmarked the philips drive with an IBM memory key USB drive (both units are said to be USB 2.0).

145M
IBM Drive = 2:50 (min:seconds)
Philips flash drive = 3:50 (min:seconds)

The philips drive took an extra 60 seconds. Doesn't sound like much I know, but it is excruciating with larger file folders (700M took me just under 20 minutes this morning)

You guys think the philips player is just slower than what I would like?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

thanks!!
Garrett

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 20
I had some issues with my usb 2.0 both from a speed standpoint as well as the port not recognizing a device attached to it. In SP2, there were issues with the drivers not being updated even after the SP2. See this link:

USB 2.0 and SP2

I still had issues even after this "fix". Finally, I uninstalled the USB's and rebooted. Windows then recognized the ports and installed the correct drivers. Speed was better but I've had another occurrence where XP powers down the USB 2.0 ports. No rhyme or reason that I can figure so it's back to the uninstall and reboot. Stupid Windows!!
mad.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #14 of 20
if it's on a hub (some ports exist in an internal hub because they share the same bus) then connecting a usb1.1 device might throttle it down to that speed. definately check and reinstall your drivers. windows xp is especially stupid with these things like usb ports dying or not working properly after standby or hibernation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back