How long to burn-in using member "dweaver" mix?
Jul 12, 2011 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

navmau

500+ Head-Fier
I downloaded dweaver's mix of brown-pink-white noise file for burn-in and left is running for ~3 hours. How long do I need to do this to get a decent amount of burn-in?

Also, what volume level should I be using?

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 4
The files all have a built in slinece to act as a rest period for the phone so I use the files looped and let them run overnight (if I am using the IEM/Headphone during the day) or longer if I am using another IEM/Headphone. I have had the odd headphone/IEM on for 1-2 days. Generally speaking though if I am going to burnin a headphone for an extended length of time (ie a week or something) I will usually introduce a bnch of regular music after the initial 24-48hrs. Also I suggest having a listen throughout the process about every 4-8hrs to see if you like what your hearing.

For volume I would listen to regul;ar music and set the volume to slightly louder than comfortable and then switch over to the burnin file.

What IEM are you burning in BTW?

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 4
It will vary by phone also. That first 12-24 is the big change on phones that do so regardless of what's used but some phones will continue to move gradually for over 200 hrs. Not as much tonally as picking up refinenment and nuance but we're talking highly resolved items here. I like that Dweaver has supplied something with rest periods. I, like most here  am often guilty of not resting them often enough during the process which is debatable like break in but can't be a bad thing. I think a good recommendation is to listen when you start and as soon as they strt to sound at all strident, turn it down a notch, You'll be able to go louder as you go along. Keep them in their comfort zone and don't beat them into submission.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 4
I am burning in Klipsch S4's. I have already got ~20hrs of music on them plus ~5hrs of the burnin noise. The sound has already changed quite a lot. The bass is better behaved, the treble is way less harsh and the sound has opened up more too.

I will do a full night of the burnin file overnight and then just continue with my usual ~6hrs per day of music.

Thanks for the replies gents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back