How long should wait to pull tubes?
Nov 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 22
I usually wait till the tubes cool off. I've been doing this with tubed equipment for many years without any problems.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually wait till the tubes cool off. I've been doing this with tubed equipment for many years without any problems.

Same here.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 22
There is one hybrid amp out there that will blow the mosfets if you don't wait 24 hours. I forget the brand name and model number.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 22
That was, I believe, the Bada BH-12, which has been discontinued.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 22
I wait for the caps to discharge, normally, which isn't very long if they are implemented correctly. Sometimes I burn my fingers a little. Hey I want to hear the next tube, not the music. :^) I have built and worked with tubes for many years and never run into a problem but again, I like to have the caps discharged but it depends upon the circuit. Something you have to wait for 24 hours on doesn't allow for the caps to discharge to ground and is poor topology.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 22
I usually wait until there cold to touch, but i once went through 3 duff tubes where i doned an oven glove to switch out the hot 'n' noisey tube!

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was, I believe, the Bada BH-12, which has been discontinued.

Rob, that was it. You have better memory retention than me. But then again you are younger
smile.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 22
Ha - rarely is that true around here, that I am the young one (being in my mid-forties...)

That Bada had a LOT of problems, although it had people who swore by its sound.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 22
Thanks guys.

Since I have been activly reviewing tubes for you guys. Man, sometime I just could not wait. I try not to forget the sound signature of last tube.

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 22
you lot wait???

I wrap the tubes in tissue so they don't burn my fingers when I whip them out. Plug new ones in, switch it on, wait like 30 seconds and plug my phones in
smily_headphones1.gif

My phones are pretty indestructible so you may not want to do it quite like this
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you lot wait???

I wrap the tubes in tissue so they don't burn my fingers when I whip them out. Plug new ones in, switch it on, wait like 30 seconds and plug my phones in
smily_headphones1.gif

My phones are pretty indestructible so you may not want to do it quite like this
wink.gif

Yep, pretty much what I do.

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 22
The only reason I wait till they cool off is I DON'T LIKE GETTING BURNED! lol!

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 22
Mini tubes about ten seconds after taking power off them. The power tubes come out in a tee shirt after I don't hear sound from my headphones (usually 10-20 seconds) with the volume turned all the way up. I figure draining the caps just means turning power off and letting the headphones drain the current left. I use ibuds to power on and off my tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back