How long it will take for DAC to find clock sync that it likes
Aug 7, 2008 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alxwang

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have a question about DAC here - maybe sounds too newbie.

How long a DAC can find clock sync that it likes then start decoding?

I just got my first DAC and start to use it.

Macbook + cheap(6$ Panasonic) toslink cable cost 4 minutes to start play.
Macbook + USB audio card(creative 50$ one-cheap too) + 8$ monoprice toslink cable cost 2.5 minutes to start play.
Cheap DVD player(60$) + really good coax cable( I assume, it is that 500->29.99 YUV cable) cost 2 minutes to start play.

It is like at first quiet then very low sound suddenly works fine. After it starts play everything is pretty good. If I turn the DAC off then on this delay is really depends on how long it be power off.

I did some research on Google and I got:
"it sense excessive jitter / clock noise then goes crazy until it finds a clock sync that it likes. "

My question is: all of my trouble is just because I have cheap source/cable or what else I can do?

Thanks a lot!

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 7
What make of DAC do you have? The delay that you get seems far too long to me. From my PC to my TC-7510 I get no delay whatsoever.
If you use your DAC with your CD player do you also get the same length of delay?

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Sellers always insists, but I never believe. Try asking any friend that you have if you can try your DAC on their DCP. I am 99.9% sure something isnot right with the DAC sync locking time.

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, that's not right at all...you should get a lock and synch almost immediately.

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's not right at all...you should get a lock and synch almost immediately.

Actually that's what I thought too.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back