How long is the ear canal?
Dec 17, 2006 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Binaural Fusion

500+ Head-Fier
Is the e500 stem long enough to touch the eardrum?

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 18
yeah - if you use a 10lb club hammer to knock em in and get a good seal
basshead.gif
... then they'll touch - otherwise no actually they don't get anywhere near close enough to your eardrums to make contact with them.
plainface.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 18
Too easy; So I just won't say it
blink.gif
cool.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 18
Well if the OP really wants to know, on average it's 4 cm long (but last time I measured things in Gray's, it tended to be for a male that was closer to 5'6"....guess the average Brit was shorter in the early 1800s.....don't know if the more recent editions are more up to date in their statistics)

for the nerd in all of us:

http://www.bartleby.com/107/229.html

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Lol, I know it's a stupid question. I thought it was about an inch long (which it is). But when I push them as far as they can go I stop hearing the music. I'm guessing it just the foamies getting pushed over the end. But I'd rather be ridiculed than make myself deaf.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 18
Hey BF,
You do seem new to the iEMs and their insertion. There are different size tips to try, of course. Also, with the foamies, add a little moisture compress them by rolling between finger & thumb, and try practicing different angles of insertion, and even pull back just a bit for best sound; not necessarily as deep as we can get them.
Forgive me if you knew any or all of that. Just FWIW ;-}

Good luck~

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 18
Thanks, I'm not new to IEMs. I just noticed this when I was playing with the fits (like you said) trying to see if there was any combination of tip/ depth that could give me a little less bass and more treble. The stems on the e500s are significantly longer than the e4s I had before this, so I've never had anything that deep in my ear. It was just unnerving when the sound stopped coming through. I'd like to err on the side of caution when it comes to my hearing especially.

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 18
Yeah that's pretty much bang-on an inch. Thanks... now I KNOW I'm not going to tear through my tympanic membrane. Boy, I'm elated.

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by staid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wikipedia says its approximately 26mm long and 7mm in diameter.
blink.gif

I would favor a medical text over wikipedia: but Grays says it's 4 cm from the tragus to the tympanic membrane. It later says it's 2.5 cm from the very bottom of the conchea to the tympanic membrane. Depends on your point of reference, but the total length is closer to 4 cm. So that's where wikipedia must be getting their info.....as superficial as it is!
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 18
I never really thought it was that long... Having never looked into anyone's ear canal I guess I really had no idea. But that seems so internal when you look at the size of the rest. I was also wondering about how often/ how you clean your ears when you use IEMs. I heard that q-tips and the like end up pushing the wax closer to your eardrum- so you're supposed to not clean them or put cider vinegar in them or something. But if you don't clean them- the foamies take a substantial decrease in longevity. Any thoughts?

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Binaural Fusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never really thought it was that long... Having never looked into anyone's ear canal I guess I really had no idea. But that seems so internal when you look at the size of the rest. I was also wondering about how often/ how you clean your ears when you use IEMs. I heard that q-tips and the like end up pushing the wax closer to your eardrum- so you're supposed to not clean them or put cider vinegar in them or something. But if you don't clean them- the foamies take a substantial decrease in longevity. Any thoughts?

With most ears, you don't need to worry about cleaning them. Q-tips are supposedly a big no no. Your ear naturally makes some wax to seperate out dead skin and debris, so that it gets moved out from the ear. However, a few people's ears make too much wax. If you feel as though your IEMs get too much wax on them, then you can regularly clean your ears out with those ear drops you find at drug stores, or a few drops of mineral oil, or lastly rubbing alcohol (that one is kinda cautioned against, but will wash the wax if you really need it or something).

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 18
I don't think I make too much wax... it just makes the foamies look awful when they're dangling by your neck or w/e. Guess that means I should just keep them in all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back