How long does it take the OPUS DAC to dry?
Dec 19, 2009 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Brewmaster

100+ Head-Fier
I had a minor accident with a glass or red wine tonight resulting in my uncased Opus DAC requiring a bath.

How long do you think I should leave it to ensure that all the water under the components is dried out?

Perhaps I should finally finish my front panel design over the holidays and get that damn case built.

My HD800's escaped with 6 inches to spare.
I think I need to rethink my desk layout.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 10
rinse with water, wait for it to dry a little, then use alcohol to clean the entire board again.

I think you should wait for a day just to be safe
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 10
I agree with TzeYang except I'd suggest using distilled water instead of regular tap water.

Also, as I've made the mistake before, you shouldn't use rubbing alcohol on electronics. Isopropyl is the way to go (71% or 90% are the common varieties, it doesn't matter terribly which you use); rubbing alcohol leaves a residue behind.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 10
even isopropyl alcohol is diluted in a saline solution that leaves a white residue behind. 90% has considerably less and easily found. I'd recommend that.

Best of luck with your Opus.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 10
You need to wash it out with alcohol, get a good one if you can. Once it is washed off with that then it only needs minutes to dry from there, alcohol evaporates very quickly

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't thought of isopropyl alcohol to rinse with. I gave that a go but I'm going to wait a until the end of the day just to be extra safe.

I'm just a clutz. Reaching for things without looking.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 10
One recommendation I've seen for similar cases, is to drop it in a bowl full of rice to absorb humidity and dry the board faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back